Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: De Mond

Default De Mond

Hi guys.

I am going down to Struisbaai this holiday (23 Des - 2 Jan). Want to try some fishing at de mond. Have never fished in the salt before so I need alot of help please!

I am sommer going to use my 6wt 'vaal' rod (Do not have a salty outfit). So please tell me what to do...

What knots should I use to tie the leader onto the flyline? Should I use floating or sinking fly line? What leaders (length, breakage etc) do I use for the salt? Can I use strong (0x) tapered monofilament? What is a shock tippet and should I use it? What knots do I use to tie my fly on?

What flies should I buy (i'm a student... so I can only buy a few good ones...) and what techniques should I use? What species will I target? Where is the best fishing spots? When should I fish here?

And is there any other great fishing spots around that area that I should check out?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to throwing my first fly into the salt!

You ask a lot of questions jacques, and I think you will proably have to decide what species you want to target, before you can really expect to get meaningfull answers. One thing I can tell you, is that your 6wt Vaal rod, is probably going to be inadequate, as the flies you will need to cast will need a rod with considerably more backbone, as you will probably be fishing into some wind. I would reccommend a 8 or 9wt, for the leeries, a 7 or 8 wt for the grunter, and mullet.

Hi Jacques,

1 - Nail knot for the leader to fly line
    2 - Floating mainly, but take sinking/intermediate with just in case
    3 - 9FT leader is fine for salt, some use shorter, you can use 0X, no problems
    4 - You will not be needing a shock tippet for De Mond, so not going into that
    5 - best knot will be non slip loop knot so that the fly has more movement
    6 - Flies - Flippers, woolhead mullet, and some deceivers and clousers.

Maybe someone with more fishing experience at de mond can help regarding spots and color of flies etc, but remember not to go to big with fly sizes or you will be struggling to cast them, the 6wt should be fine for leeries and mullet, I got a saltwater specific 6WT rod just for the small leeries around here, perfect for them... (unless the wind is howling)

I will probably come through for a day after the 24th, will let you know and we can maybe meet up there

cheers
    Shawn

Other flies that works well for De Mond is salty buggers and crease flies.

Just returned from Struisbaai from a 10 day holiday, weather was crappy to say the least had one huge storm which went straight up the coast.

I did managed two days at De Mond, caught huge amount of juvenile leeries on the 7wt. The twins also managed to land their first leeries on fly .

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    Just returned from Struisbaai from a 10 day holiday, weather was crappy to say the least had one huge storm which went straight up the coast.

I did managed two days at De Mond, caught huge amount of juvenile leeries on the 7wt. The twins also managed to land their first leeries on fly .
    Thats good going. Up this way the wind is showing us whos boss.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post

just goes to to show that experience in the salt is needed for success.

i was at de mond for a few hours and did'nt know my @ss from my elbow.

Hi Flybum,

When where you their ? You still in De Mond area ?

Nice. Im hoping to get down to de mond before the end of the holliday. Heading back to my mom in parys on the 11th with school starting on the 14th Do you have any tips for me on fishing at de mond? Maby on what flies to use and where to fish? I was thinking flippers, clousers and surfcandies.

Hi Christo,

I found that a plain white clouser with pearl flash worked the best. I caught them on floating and intermediate lines. Try your best to get their on a pushing tide or dropping when the water is blue/green. You can see the blue/green water coming up the estuary as the tides pushes.

Another thing to remember at De Mond is that you will have
    2 - 2,5 hr delay in the tide, that is how long it takes to push that fresh saltwater up the river.

Their have been catches of cob on dropshot at De Mond as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast