Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Honorary rangers, cape Streams

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Nick, i am determined to get this off the ground at some point. Stanton has also been heavilly involved. We are going to get the ball rolling again, I promise.
    Andre
    I think we need to advertise better, we need CPS members to know about this programme, for that reason it has to appear in the newsletter at some point. Maybe this will encourage people to be more involved, afterall its your water that you'll be protecting, so that should be incentive enough to join.

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Andre
    I think we need to advertise better, we need CPS members to know about this programme, for that reason it has to appear in the newsletter at some point. Maybe this will encourage people to be more involved, afterall its your water that you'll be protecting, so that should be incentive enough to join.
    You right, I will call you.

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    Andre
    I think before volunteers are called for, there needs to be a bit more clarity what it entails. There would have to be a roster of sorts where there are always at least two guys on duty. One is hardly going to add any value if one hopes to combine it with one's fishing. We need guys who are prepared to give up their time to patrol!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

The Smalblaar/Elandspad/Molenaars/Holsloot are the only streams I know that are PUBLICLY fishable. Sure there are others but you need to be friendly with the "right" people to access them. If we do nothing about the current state of affairs we can kiss this resource goodbye. Any contribution we can make MUST make a difference no matter how big or small. Apathy does'nt help anyone. Come on people less talk/excuses more action.

SAVE THE CAPE STREAMS!!!!
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 23-02-09 at 10:00 AM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    The Smalblaar/Elandspad/Molenaars/Holsloot are the only streams I know that are PUBLICLY fishable. Sure there are others but you need to be friendly with the "right" people to access them. If we do nothing about the current state of affairs we can kiss this resource goodbye. Any contribution we can make MUST make a difference no matter how big or small. Apathy does'nt help anyone. Come on people less talk/excuses more action.

SAVE THE CAPE STREAMS!!!!
    I agree, but this is easier said than done. It is very easy to complain about the state of affairs, but when volunteers are sought, the majority of the complainers dont raise their hands. It is always easier for someone else to put in the effort. I realise it is not our responsibility to police the rivers, but Cape nature, somply does not have the manpower. Rest assured we are gratefull for the offers to assist that we have had, and will be canvassing more.
    The honorary rangers course will be scheduled, and will involve a full saturday and Sunday, and a nominal amount of expense for the graduates to purchaes their jacket, cap, badge etc. If we have 5 committed guys, it will still be better than having none.

Default Nice one!

Good initiative guys! I hope this takes off soon!
    Trout are as much a part of South Africa as the oak trees are of Stellenbosch – not to be planted in wilderness areas where they do not already occur, but to be valued where they are established.

hi everyone.
    I can finally say that this is definatly going to happen. I had a chat with our Cape Nature people, and they are ok that we make a few facts public.
    We will be looking at April next year, for a 3 day, two nights course, at a venue somewhere near the fishing waters. I have been asked to potentially handle the logistics around getting suitable delegates from our local fly fishing community, as well as secure a suitable venue for the course to happen.
    Cape Nature have finalised their carriculum, and condensed it into a few days.
    They will be happy to subsidise part of the accommodation and meals, and unless we can find a sponsor, we will have to carry a certain portion of our own individual costs.
    The course will be looking at about 40 delegates, with between 5 to 10 fly fishing delegates. The rest will come from various forums, such as 4x4 clubs, hiking clubs, private individuals, and previously disadvantaged community based forums.
    The delegartes from the fly fishing community, will not be selected on a first come first served basis, but from suitable people who will be prepared to give up a few hours per year, in the actual policing and maintenance of the catchment. It is almost pointless to have many delegates, only to find that the majority of them, not prepared to perform the function they are going to be trained for.
    I realy hope that we can raise a core of dedicated individuals that are concerned about the conservation of our priceless fishing locations, and are prepared to put some effort into ensuring that they remain pristine for our children to use in the future.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Put my name on the Potential list please

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    Put my name on the Potential list please

/d
    Certainly...
    What name should I use?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I am still in andre.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast