Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sea-Ducer

Gogga Banned User

Default Sea-Ducer

The Sea-Ducer (aka The Semper Fleye). Really simple to tie and a delightful action in the water. I would imagine it would make a good shad fly too. Not one I tie in smaller sizes, but if you want to tie size 4 and smaller then use a long-shank hook.

Hook: Standard saltwater (Long shank size4> )

Thread: Danvilles flat-waxed - colour to suit.

Tail: 6-8 saddle hackles, flashabou.

Body: Palmered hackle.

Step 1: Lay a base of thread along hook shank to bend. Although not essential, I find this base gives the body materials something to grip and use it on most of my salty flies.

Step 2: Tie in 6-8 saddle hackles as a tail. It's not particularly important how the feathers are tied in. Praying hands, flared outwards or round the clock are fine. Just try and keep them fairly even.

Step 3: Add 6 strands of flashabou along each side of the tail.

Gogga Banned User

Step 4: Form body by palmering a nice webby hackle fowards. Repeat until 2/3rds of the shank is covered. When tying off each feather pull the fibres backwards and add a couple of turns of thread over the end.

Step 5: Finish body by palmering another webby hackle. You can continue using the same colour, although this fly is most often finished with another colour. I have used olive grizzly but traditionally red was used. It's all down to your preference.

All the best
    Mike

Thanks for that Mike,

A fly I've never fished before, will tie up a few. I would think dumbbell eyes can be added?

Cheers,

Philip

That looks very fishy...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

that looks cool.
    are the feathers durable in salt water?
    roland

Gogga Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    that looks cool.
    are the feathers durable in salt water?
    roland

Rols,
    Yea- feathers are OK, look at the deceiver - Lefty tied them and they work fine.

All the best
    Mike

Gogga Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Thanks for that Mike,

A fly I've never fished before, will tie up a few. I would think dumbbell eyes can be added?

Cheers,

Philip

Philip,
    If I want to get a jigging motion, and perhaps want the fly to swim upside down (weed - snagging etc) then I normally tie the shminnow..........

a handy little pattern to have in your saltwater arsenal. Not a pattern that you will sit back and admire after tying, but it does catch fish, which I think is the idea behind whipping stuff to a hook. Like most salty patterns, you can play around with the materials and colours. You can also tie this fly unweighted or add weight with lead wire, beadchain, beadheads and coneheads. I tend to use it as a 'when all else fails' pattern, but I know some people dress it bulkier and swear by it in coloured water. Perhaps, it works so well 'cause it looks so shrimpy....................

Hook: Standard saltwater O'Shaunessy.

Eyes: Beadchain.

Thread: Mono.

Tail: Marabou.

Body: Fritz.

Step 1 Attach a set of beadchain eyes 'clouser' style. Paint the eyes black (I use black nail varnish but modellers acrylic paint is a good alternative.)

Step 2: Tie in tail behind eyes.

Step 3: Catch in Fritz at start of tail then move thread up to eye of hook.

Step 4: Wind Fritz along shank, criss-cross over eyes and wrap up to hook eye. Tie off, whip finish.

All the best
    Mike
    Last edited by Gogga; 23-01-07 at 10:41 PM.

Default Semper

The key with any fly is to understand what you want to achieve in the water (stating the obvious is part of commentary). For me, the Semper is a one of the few flies that can be used to achieve size and length but is still very cast friendly. The biggest Leeries I have landed and hooked but not landed at Blakes have been on Sempers. The important aspect about tying the Semper is to include a lot of fluff from the hackle, from tying in the hackle for the tail to palmering for the body. I also go for big hooks 6/0 – 8/0. I find that olive is the best colour to use. If you look at the size of Leeries that make a living on the reefs and the baitfish that live in fear, the Semper is the answer if you want to catch the big ones. I have also used the Semper in the Eastern Cape and the Transkei with success -

In Bill Hansford-Steele's book, African Flyfishing Handbook, he recomends the sea-ducer as a usefull fly for cob.

Cheers

Juan which feathers do you use for that fly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.