Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sterkies report back

I think I know what you're talking about, so it's not the ant that you are trying to imitate, it’s the flying ant... I have been in a fall of them on Sterkies, something bad.... I had three in my box, so I let Turner, Tony and Hester fight it out for 2 of them. I think Hester got both... these were the cream ones, could tie them on a #10 TMC100, but you’re also talking about the smaller black ones, about #16… look like little wasps, right?

I would love to see your imitation... I don’t have any pre-tied, I will see if I can whip a few together, you can have a look.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

This is the fly. I forgot to colour the Spiderwire black hence the white head
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ja, that will work for the small black ones...
    Mike McKeown

Cool

To follow on with Mike’s gripe about the litter, I note there are plenty bass fisherman fishing at Sterkies. No problem I trust they kill all the bass!

I started chatting with two at the launch as they asked for some advice on fly fishing etc. The afternoon just before the storm I met them at the Quarry, they were trolling the depths and I was on my way to fish the south side shoreline. The fish were spawning in some of the bays and what a display of lovemaking! If you hold off and fish the shallows about 20 metres away from them there are plenty of non spawning fish building up their energy levels.

I was fishing a bay (these are small recesses in the shoreline not False bay) when the 2 mates rounded the corner 150m away from me. I could clearly hear them say “if I drop this (big fat rap with trebles) amongst them I’m sure to hook one” and he proceeded to cast towards them!! Ok so there was a blood rush and a bit of cursing the fact I don’t fish with a .357 the way Alaskans do. But I restrained myself and just whistled and informed them politely that the fish are spawning and it’s really no art to hook them. They mentioned something of a hook-up on a rock and they won’t do it cr@p. They moved along the bank and off to another area.

Now what gets me is: these are supposedly intelligent people, with money for 4x4 and bass boat and accommodation etc. But they cannot get the synapses to connect in that cranium space to reason that this is not ON!! Then I’d rather see a subsistence guy killing a 5kg largie and taking it home for dinner.

I feel your pain!!

Mark and I went to private dam I have access to and I chased away to guys who were using throw nets!

I chased them away two times and the last time they became a bit white! I then asked them to leave seeing that they need permission and the way they were fishing doesnt fall in the prescribed permitted manner.

They left saying that they will be back! Now I think that I would go and guard that dam for a weekend seeing that I havent got a problem fishing with a .375. I will sure as hell shoot at them to scare them off, because these are the same idiots that brake into your car while its left unattended.

These guys werent of the intellectual beings as you refer to Carl, but what beats me is that they will kill anything from a 3cm kurper to 20kg Carp. If the fish they catch are small, it doesnt matter, they just need more to fill the stomach.

This is how fish gets wiped out in an area! This is something that has happened at Roodekoppies Dam outside Brits.

Know exactly what you mean Carl. When I fished the orange there were 2 okes from Germiston (nothing against anybody that stays their) camping and fishing on the farmers land, they said their dad used to work for the farmer and that's why the knew about the spot.

Well these guys were catching yellows aka papgooi, afterwards they put them in a keepnet, ofcourse I told them that they are not allowed to keep yellows and they said they were just keeping count of their fish.

I also heard them say that they have a fish-head on one of the barbel rods, which I think was a smallish yellow as they were catching loads off.

Now the really bad part comes. This oke lures one of the monkeys with bread and shoots him with a crossbow. No slow death unfortunately as the monkey was running into the bushes with the arrow in his back. And this oke is complaining about the arrow he just lost.

That's what a very low IQ and a personalty disorder does to you perhaps.

Niel

You should have gone after the monkey, retrieved the arrow and then you should have shuved it up his ass right after you have removed the flights at the back and heated it up so that he couldnt pull it out afterwards!!!

I can not stand cruelty to animals!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Niel

You should have gone after the monkey, retrieved the arrow and then you should have shuved it up his ass right after you have removed the flights at the back and heated it up so that he couldnt pull it out afterwards!!!

I can not stand cruelty to animals!!!!
    I agree wholeheartedly! Animal cruelty is despicable.

It speaks volumes that a person can be so base as to mortally harm an animal purely for the sake of their own amusement.

THERE IS *NOTHING* more pathetic than an unethical hunter.
    Particularly when they baited the poor chap to get a shot and then still take a bad shot.. @ssh0les

As for those gits with the damn thrownets, they need a visit from mr buckshot. And as Koos said, they were not even slightly skaam about poaching!

Mark
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Default Animal cruelty

Not to open another can of worms - but this past weekend I visited a friend with a farm, specifically to shoot a guinefowl for fly-tying purposes.

Now, I have never really hunted (was with on 1 or 2 occasions previously, but nothing serious) - so this was really my 1st up-close-and-personal expereince and I also wanted to get a shot in myself (like most boys does at some stage I guess).

In the end I rather relied on my buddy to do the shooting; hoping to make the experience as short as possible for the poor bird, and it was (15 sec or so I guess - but surely not nice for the guinefowl).

This has put many things in a different light for me - we so easily buy tying material without thinking that an animal or bird was killed to harvest it... and if you think they are slaugtered in perfect conditions, with nice soft music, top-quality food as a last meal, etc - THINK AGAIN!

My point - certain things are better left unseen - and yes, incidents such as those mentioned do occur, it does PI$$ us off - but we must try and be the better person; confront (politely), educate hopefully - if you then see 'the lights are on but no one is home' leave without endangering your own life.

I will never forget visiting a chicken farm outside Potch for a 3rd year project; the chickens were in coops laying eggs; 3 storey coops, top chickens had it ok, only 4-5 in a SMALL coop; the rest is the same but they get shit from the top as well; they are only there for a few weeks then some local parks there with a bakkie and loads it with LIVE chickens; hundrens - in the back of a canopy; just pushed in to go get killed if they do not die along the way: If you ever get the opportunity - DO NOT GO!

We can only dream of an ideal world - one without humans!
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    This has put many things in a different light for me - we so easily buy tying material without thinking that an animal or bird was killed to harvest it... and if you think they are slaugtered in perfect conditions, with nice soft music, top-quality food as a last meal, etc - THINK AGAIN!
    Here's a little chat with the best breeder in the game...

Thomas Whiting

I agree that they are raised for their feathers, but then a pig is raised for its bacon and cattle for their fillets... pick your evil.

The only human way to do it is to keep all the animals you need in your back yard...
    Mike McKeown

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast