Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Sterkies report back

Cool

Here is some photo's of flies working for me at Sterkies. No SBS unfortunately, but most are so easy you won't have any problems.

http://picasaweb.google.com/carl.yel...eat=directlink

BTW, apologies for hijacking the thread on animal cruelty etc.

Default Sterkies, 31 Jan - 1 Feb. '09

Was at Sterkies with a friend (Cobus), Gary (Gaza) and Mark (Vogon) [Gary - Hope I have remembered the correct alias for Mark ? ].

We were hosted by Dave Weaver - a great and entertaining host, as always.

Overall we had a great weekend; Cobus and myself missed out on fishing Friday as he had work related matters to attend to; most of the weekend was windy, so we had little dry-fly action; but some smallies did fall to dry flies the few short opportunities we had.

Nymphing techniques were thus the order of the day. Fish were taken on a multitude of different flies; I fished a #14-16 general black mayfly imitation, even to the extent where I changed both flies to these - worked very well. Sunday the other anglers found more gold than I did and landed >10 fish per angler (morning session) - a small F-fly did the trick. I took only 5 fish the Sunday

Given that it was only my second trip to Sterkies, it was successful and I have once gain learned a lot - my thanx to Gary and Marc for sharing openly, it was great meeting more forum members.

We fished late on Sunday and everybody, except Gary, was in 'the-dog-box'; therefore we departed immediately and did not get a CD with the pics from Dave yet; we will post some as soon as they are available.

Thus, so the planning starts for the next trip
    Last edited by troutmaster; 03-02-09 at 09:12 PM.
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post

Thus, so the planning starts for the next trip
    Great report back Barend, however I feel I have to warn you now.

Be Afraid, Very Afraid.

STERKIES IS ADDICTIVE.

Just ask Michael Newby. ( and me
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Great report back Barend, however I feel I have to warn you now.

Be Afraid, Very Afraid.

STERKIES IS ADDICTIVE.

Just ask Michael Newby. ( and me
    We know

Have you guys visited 'The Smokin Turtle' in Harrismith?

What an AWESOME place on a Friday night - it is truely a place to temp yourself and feast your eyes if you are a married man. Seems all the local girls hang out there as there is a live 'singer' - but don't go for the music.

Best of all, Dave's wife referred us I wonder whether she has ever visited it 'after-hours'.
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Nice going Barend cool stuff.

I saw u made TCFF
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    We know :
    Have you guys visited 'The Smokin Turtle' in Harrismith?

What an AWESOME place on a Friday night - it is truely a place to temp yourself and feast your eyes if you are a married man. Seems all the local girls hang out there as there is a live 'singer' - but don't go for the music.

Best of all, Dave's wife referred us I wonder whether she has ever visited it 'after-hours'.
    Harrismith has a NightLIfe ????

Eeeeiiisshh, now a weekend trip looks far to good.

Have to get through my Cape trip first though. 4 weeks and 6 days to go. WHOOOPPPEEEE.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hi

Just read Dave's FOSAF report and appart from the fishing being fish and difficult ;-) He reported another incident of a boat entering "their" water. Sterkies is big, ok not all is available to the general public, but there is more than enough good spots for all to enjoy.

If you are guided by someone and they pull into the same area, say 500m from a boat on shore give them a KLAP and tell them to move on. I would not want to fish that close to another boat as most fish would already be skittish or spooked.

We had a couple of similar incidents this weekend. It's crazy considering the size of the dam.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    Hi

Just read Dave's FOSAF report and appart from the fishing being fish and difficult ;-) He reported another incident of a boat entering "their" water. Sterkies is big, ok not all is available to the general public, but there is more than enough good spots for all to enjoy.

If you are guided by someone and they pull into the same area, say 500m from a boat on shore give them a KLAP and tell them to move on. I would not want to fish that close to another boat as most fish would already be skittish or spooked.
    Difficult? Hmmm...we got loads of fish...but yeah there were times when the fish locked onto the flying ants on the water. It wasn't a case of "matching the hatch"...in fact if you did you were pretty much screwed as how is the fish supposed to pick out your #18 pattern amongst the thousands of ants lying on the water? In these circumstances I used a slightly bigger and buggier fly...and all you do is intercept the fish. You can work out their cruising path and what you need to do is get the fly right in front of it's feeding lane. He WILL take it if it seems edible...flying ants are not the only food source on the water and if the fish comes across a hopper, beetle or caddis fly he is going to make a meal of it.

I was a little dissapointed to see guys fishing on "my" spots...i.e. some spots that I sort of discovered while bundu bashing long ago, and look like "nothing" from the water. The only way people will know to fish these spots, are if guides or whoever saw us fishing these spots at some time and catching fish. Now they drop their clients there. Sterkies is becoming popular, and I suppose the pipe-dream of always having the good spots to yourself won't last forever. I agree though, if you are fishing a spot then other fishermen should avoid coming into the area.
    However...there may be 105km of shoreline...but not all 105km is prime water...in fact lots of it is barren of yellowfish. The best spots are few...and if the wind pumps you have to look for sheltered spots anyway, limiting the available shoreline even more. We saw some float tubers fishing a prime spot...nymphing while fish were rising all around them! What a waste of good water...

There were loads of fly fishermen on the dam...on the Eastern Shoreline on Sunday (the 15th of Jan) there were guys fishing every 300m...it's unavoidable I suppose. It also seems as if more and more guiding operations are going there.
    We were probably the only guys camping too (not by choice...)...thank goodness it didn't rain! The cold showers at the ablution blocks were a revelation though...

We saw no spawning fish this past weekend. In fact on the shallow banks the males would be there...I suspect they come in looking for females and then when there are none, they leave again. So you had fish coming into the shallows all the time, only to dissapear again "rejected".

One worrying thing (continuing on previous discussions) is seeing the place going backwards. Cold showers, braai's that can't adjust and the bottoms are rusted through, electrical points that are missing the tops so that water gets through and shorts out, toilets with no seats, urinals that leak onto the floor, outside plumbing pipes that are broken, MORE people behaving badly at the slipway (launch ramp...broken beer and savannah bottles on the concrete), blocked drains, etc. We've written letters to the Freestate Department of Tourism, outlying the concerns, and we've had SOME positive feedback at least. We'll see in the long run if anything gets done. They have a 4 year plan running from 2008 - 2012 to upgrade the entire nature reserve including the resort, so let's hope they stick to it.

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Michael; 21-02-09 at 07:48 AM.

Yes,
    You have to read the report in the context of who fishes with Dave and their level of experience. I've had great weekends but it doesn't always show in the report;-)

The next FOSAG YWG meeting is being held at Sterkies, with everyone from Nature Con and Fosaf going it will create some awareness of the state of the place. Most delegates are staying there.

The busy spots are normally locals without boats, tough when you pull that beat in the TCFF!

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast