Thread: Vinyl Rib Mud Charlie

Default Vinyl Rib Mud Charlie

Materials:
    Hook: Saltwater hooks. Size 2 and 4 are the most popular
    Thread: 3/0 or 6/0 olive or similar
    Eyes: Bead chain or Dumbbell
    Body: Chenille, Larva lace or Vinyl rib
    Wing: Calf or Buck tail, Hackle tips and Flashabou/Crystal flash

When tying the eyes onto the top of the hook shank, make sure there is enough space between the eyes, and the eye of the hook to be able to tie in all the other materials. The eyes that I've used in this sequence are Tungsten Dumbbells, tied onto the shank and then spray painted black. For extra strength and durability, I then coat them with a thin layer of 5 min epoxy. I've included some flash under the body to create a more translucent effect as well.

Step 1: Starting behind the eyes, tie in the Vinyl rib. In this sequence the colour is olive. Make sure the flat side of the rib is flush with the top of the shank and the rounded edge on the very top.(ie.the round edge must point up) Advance the thread to behind the eyes.

Step 2: Tie in two strands of flashabou behind the eyes. In this sequence the colour is gold.

Step 3: Wrap the flashabou over the vinyl rib back towards the bend in the hook, and then wrap it forward to the eyes. When tying the flashabou off, make sure the thread is left placed between the eyes and the hook eye.

Step 4: Wrap the vinyl rib over the flashabou. Its important to finsh the vinyl wraps over the top of the eyes and NOT on the under side! The under side of the hook must be kept open for all the wing material to be tied in. If the Vinyl doesn't end up in the correct position, unwind it, and rewind from a position slightly further back on the hook bend. Whip finish and cement the thread wraps.

Step 5: Turn the hook upside down to tie in the wing material. First tie in a bunch of tail material for the wing.

Step 6: Tie in a couple of strands of Flash material. The colour I've used in this sequence is called "Rainbow".

Step 7: Tie in 2 or more Hackle tips on each side of the wing, splayed to the outside. Whip finish and tie off.

The guys in the latest fly swop will be receiving one of these!!
    Last edited by rory; 29-11-12 at 11:39 AM.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Would love to try that in the estuary at Port St Johns. Grunter se moer!

Nice one Rory.
    Do you have a pic from the top. I'm never sure where to tie off that bulky stuff.
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by frikb View Post
    Nice one Rory.
    Do you have a pic from the top. I'm never sure where to tie off that bulky stuff.
    No problemo, let me see what I can organise.

HI Rory,

Great pattern that, gave one to Jauno or Ettienne (can't remember) while they were down. That charlie is a fish taker down here. Would love to have one by you in the said fly swap.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by frikb View Post
    Nice one Rory.
    Here you go Frik, you can see the vinyl placed over the eyes and then its tied off between the fly eyes and the hook eye.

Last edited by rory; 29-11-12 at 11:39 AM.

That fly the Skippies will love !!!!!!
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Thank you rory, that's just about the same way I do it, but this fly looks so much better than the ones I do
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

Okay, you convinced me, I am in. Let me see what I can pull out of my sleave on this one.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Awesome looking tie Rory... very nice mate.
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson