Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salt rock hotel

Default Salt rock hotel

Hi guys im at saltrock hotel in october and womdered if some of you have fished there. Thinking of taking my 9 wt with me?

Take your 7wt It is worth it to take the 5 minute drive to Christmas Bay at Sheffield beach and fish of the rocks at low tide - you will pick up rock cod, stumpies, wrasse, blacktail and maybe the odd shad and kingy.

If I can cast my mind back several years, If I remember correctly, most , if not all the fishing is done from fairly hectic rocks....be careful.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    If I can cast my mind back several years, If I remember correctly, most , if not all the fishing is done from fairly hectic rocks....be careful.
    its like casting off an Ark........
    catch and release

Thanks for the replies. Will be safe. Any fly suggestions and size of flies?

I have had lots of fun at Sheffield Beach. You will also pick up flag tails on small flies (tie a small salty bugger or similar behind you clouser or flipper - 40 cm back). Sometimes you can sight cast at them in the waves. They love flies. Also blackmail, stone bream etc Caught a very large unusual mullet too. Even if water is very rough, change to 1 or 2 small flies and cast into the knee deep water on the pushing tide - small pools, gullets etc for lots of fun if you cannot try for the big ones. Even caught a goatfish ? At Grannies Pool beach. Enjoy!

Thanks allot Niel will pack a few of my salty buggers and charlies. Also started to tie some bigger brush flies in size 1 to 4/0. Wil l try to catch small fish and bigger fish. Spoke to a guy at the hotel and he said that there was a guy a few weeks back that caught a couple of cod,shad and kingiea in the 4kg range on dropshot so will give it my best shot

Great,
    give us some feedback on your return!
    Rregards
    Niel

Just came back from Sheffield beach and had a great stay. Weather was perfect, low tide was very very low that the kids enjoyed and there were whales everywhere.
    My son enjoyed some dropshot fishing and managed to land a few blacktails, rock cod, flagtails etc.
    On one of the days I decided to try flyfishing again after a 7 month break recovering from a lumbar herniated disc. I took out the fly rod and tied on a Steve Austin Charlie (thanks to CB).
    Using di5 sinking line I cast out as far as I could and immediately realized that it was a stupid thing to do as I could feel the spasms in my back forming. As the fly hit the water I heard my son calling "fish on!" and put the flyrod down and helped him landing a rock cod. After taking a quick snap I picked up my flyrod and started reeling in, not even bothering to strip the line as I knew that was that for the day and probably for the next two months or so.
    Halfway in my line hooked a rock and I lifted the tip to try and unhook it except that the rock started moving out to sea. After a short but hard fight I managed to land a new saltwater specie for me, a Rosy Goatfish. Beautifully colored I tried to get it back as soon as possible. I took a quick snap, attached my salter scale to my stripping basket and weighed it at 1.1Kg after subtracting the weight of the stripping basket.
    Taking the fish to a small gully I held it upright in a small pool to get it kicking again. It was at this point that some local fisherman came to have a look with one telling me I should not fool around because the fish might escape. The look on his face when I let it go was priceless.

Rosy Goatfish.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Just came back from Sheffield beach and had a great stay. Weather was perfect, low tide was very very low that the kids enjoyed and there were whales everywhere.
    My son enjoyed some dropshot fishing and managed to land a few blacktails, rock cod, flagtails etc.
    On one of the days I decided to try flyfishing again after a 7 month break recovering from a lumbar herniated disc. I took out the fly rod and tied on a Steve Austin Charlie (thanks to CB).
    Using di5 sinking line I cast out as far as I could and immediately realized that it was a stupid thing to do as I could feel the spasms in my back forming. As the fly hit the water I heard my son calling "fish on!" and put the flyrod down and helped him landing a rock cod. After taking a quick snap I picked up my flyrod and started reeling in, not even bothering to strip the line as I knew that was that for the day and probably for the next two months or so.
    Halfway in my line hooked a rock and I lifted the tip to try and unhook it except that the rock started moving out to sea. After a short but hard fight I managed to land a new saltwater specie for me, a Rosy Goatfish. Beautifully colored I tried to get it back as soon as possible. I took a quick snap, attached my salter scale to my stripping basket and weighed it at 1.1Kg after subtracting the weight of the stripping basket.
    Taking the fish to a small gully I held it upright in a small pool to get it kicking again. It was at this point that some local fisherman came to have a look with one telling me I should not fool around because the fish might escape. The look on his face when I let it go was priceless.

Rosy Goatfish.jpg
    Beautiful
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast