Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: taking flytying material to Nz

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    From a point of view where you would need to have feathers either fumigated or irradiated, which would be preferable i.t.o. using the feathers again ?

Would irradiation make the barbs weaker or fall out of the stems ? For fumigation you probably get a lingering "smell", but this should pass if you air the stuff well...

So if you had to choose between the two, which is the lesser evil ?
    Hi Eben

I have not read all the links you have posted, but I have a question here. The certificate that you need to show that your items have been "detoxed" ... who is authorised to issue such a certificate??? That would surely be a guideline over what to do?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    From a point of view where you would need to have feathers either fumigated or irradiated, which would be preferable i.t.o. using the feathers again ?

Would irradiation make the barbs weaker or fall out of the stems ? For fumigation you probably get a lingering "smell", but this should pass if you air the stuff well...

So if you had to choose between the two, which is the lesser evil ?
    as far as i understand irradiation does not alter a product in anyway it only kills any life attached to it or living within it. It's used on biltong which still tastes the same after the process.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    The certificate that you need to show that your items have been "detoxed" ... who is authorised to issue such a certificate??? That would surely be a guideline over what to do?
    Speaking under correction here, but I think it is a veterinarian or state veterinarian. If a company does it, they probably get one of those to sign for them.
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

Gary the company is called Isotron their number is 011 974 8859 - they are listed in the yellow pages. Give them a try. They should issue certificates.

And they have a website: http://www.isotron.com/

Contamination control

Various materials are routinely treated at our sites to achieve microbial reduction ie, to reduce, or eliminate altogether, the number of microorganisms. Isotron's processing technologies are of particular benefit in ensuring that naturally derived materials, typically with high microbiological counts, are sanitised prior to being incorporated into the final product. Isotron's treatment processes are routinely used to treat cosmetics and toiletries, pharmaceutical raw materials, veterinary products, laboratory disposables, dyes and colourants, horticultural products, food packaging and food.

Each of these product types is very different in terms of material composition and the initial level of microbial activity (the bioburden) and hence the processing conditions necessary to meet a given microbial specification will differ. It is also essential that the materials used in the product are compatible with the process. We have the expertise and variety of treatments to ensure that the appropriate solution is available to satisfy these conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    All the links and info has been posted for you to research Gary. I can however offer one last piece of advice - dont take any chances, MAF will destroy/treat any material they deem to be unclean, or unfit for entry.

I washed my wading boots before I got on the plane, and they still sent them for a dip in the cleaning machine.

Unless you have permits for your furs/feathers, leave them at home! I've had material destroyed, that was posted to me without permits.
    Flies are ok though, they will let them through no problems.
    i contacted the NZ customs guys and they were very quick to comeback with the following info.
    if you are going on holiday don't bother taking materials, they will impond them and treat them and charge you to get the stuff back. however if you are immigrating then make sure all materials are listed and packed in the front of the container. they will treat the materials and send them on to your final destination. you will pay around $20.00 via post for return.

my brother in law now has a difficult choice, and i'm eyeing a couple of his capes!!!!

If I were moving there I would definitely do my best to get them through. Even if they are going to take a while to come through to me.

Good info there Gary, I've learned something. It pays to go to the horse's mouth. $20 to get a substantial shipment of materials into the country is nothing really, well worth it.

But the question is: How much do you really like you brother-in-law? If the answer is "not so much" then just tell him that they won't be allowed in, but that you are happy to take them off his hands.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    Good info there Gary, I've learned something. It pays to go to the horse's mouth. $20 to get a substantial shipment of materials into the country is nothing really, well worth it.

But the question is: How much do you really like you brother-in-law? If the answer is "not so much" then just tell him that they won't be allowed in, but that you are happy to take them off his hands.
    i have to be nice to him as he will be providing cheap accommodation for us when we visit!!.however i have i given him a list of my favorite materials

Gary,

Other thing is it depends a lot on how they are going over. If it is official immigration with stuff organized from this side, no problems.

If they going over on a "holiday" and then sorting out jobs etc that side, going over with a huge amount of tying material may cause some very uncomfortable questions on the other side.

Tell him to go live in Gore toward the bottom of the SI, pretty much the NZ equivalent of Rhodes i.t.o. amount of awesome water within a 50km radius, only difference is the fish are about 10 times bigger and mostly browns
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast