Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bass rod

Thanks for the very informative posts!

I think I'll first try and step the line up by two, this would be the cheapest option at this stage, thanks for the suggestion!

E.T. the flies (especially foam poppers) are not areodynamic, and like I said trying, even with double hauling, ends in disaster with the fly landing no where near where you intended it to go. The fly is not heavy (some are but not all), they are just bulky.

Regarding uncle Lefty and the #9, around here the only structure we need to worry about is grass and reeds, and fishing from a boat makes this not an issue. Like I said, I'll try the #6 with #8 line and see if I'm satisfied, otherwise I'll have to splash on another rod!

I'm planning to do a lot more bassing this year, so lets see where it goes!

i had the same problem.picked up a 7/8w explorer classic for R350 new.works like a charm.nice soft tip but enough backbone to pull a decent fish.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Yeah, at one stage, I also struggled to make a 9 meter cast with my 6-7 Elbe. One day I mentioned the problem to another fisherman, and he told me, "It has to be able to cast that distance." He took my rod and a non-airodynamic frog fly some 20 meters out. I couldn't believe that someone who hasn't seriously cast a fly line in about 5 years, could do that.

Granted, I have a 6wt Airflo 40+ line on the rod, which does help with the casting, and yes, a HEAVY double haul was the way to go, but it worked, even for me. I can now make a 20m cast with the 6wt line on my 5wt TFO.

If possible, I would suggest that you test a 7wt Airflo 40+ line on your rod. It may also be worth your while to try the RIO Clouser Taper line.

Kind regards,
    PTN

FlyFanatic Banned User

Interesting thread!! been struggling with this issue for some time now!!

For bass fishing, casting a BIG surface popper with a 5wt and 5wt line more than 5m, frankly, is impossible! Its not the weight of the fly, its the resistance it gives while swooshing through the air, absorbs ALL of the energy generated by the 5wt line. You can double haul ur ass off, all ur doing is tiring ur arm. Going a line wt or 2 up should fix the problem yes.

I opted for getting myself a 6/7 rod, Explorer Classic1 with WF7 Airflow Ridge line, first time i cast it was just WOW!! All problems casting big bass bugs solved! (thanx Troutmaster, my hero!! )

On the size of the fish on a 6/7wt, if ur able to cast that bass bug right next to that monster lunker's door, then ur gonna be really happy you have a rod with backbone!

Also heard this rod is perfect for them largies, Scythe, ur the expert?

Largies, here I come!!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Interesting thread!! been struggling with this issue for some time now!!

For bass fishing, casting a BIG surface popper with a 5wt and 5wt line more than 5m, frankly, is impossible! Its not the weight of the fly, its the resistance it gives while swooshing through the air, absorbs ALL of the energy generated by the 5wt line. You can double haul ur ass off, all ur doing is tiring ur arm. Going a line wt or 2 up should fix the problem yes.

I opted for getting myself a 6/7 rod, Explorer Classic1 with WF7 Airflow Ridge line, first time i cast it was just WOW!! All problems casting big bass bugs solved! (thanx Troutmaster, my hero!! )

On the size of the fish on a 6/7wt, if ur able to cast that bass bug right next to that monster lunker's door, then ur gonna be really happy you have a rod with backbone!

Largies, here I come!!
    A pleasure, always willing to help when I can. Hope u enjoy the rod, line and 'new' wading shoes... now we just wait for deep-winter and 'normal' flows

Was great meeting you today, looking forward to a trip to the VENUE we discussed, shhhhhh ..................

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    A pleasure, always willing to help when I can. Hope u enjoy the rod, line and 'new' wading shoes... now we just wait for deep-winter and 'normal' flows

Was great meeting you today, looking forward to a trip to the VENUE we discussed, shhhhhh ..................
    You are obviously too fully booked this winter to join me at MY venue.
    There again the old principle of show me yours first, then I may show you mine applies.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    You are obviously too fully booked this winter to join me at MY venue.
    There again the old principle of show me yours first, then I may show you mine applies.
    A plan will definately be made

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Don't ask me about Rods or Largies, it seems a taboo subject amongst the radically rectally retentive rupers on here.
    Last edited by Scythe; 23-03-09 at 04:31 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

When I fished Theewaters Kloof a couple of weeks ago, I took my 9wt, I thought I was going to be totally overkeel with it, but boy was I wrong. It made casting my big fly a pleasure, and the largies I caught did not dissapoint me either, they put a nice bend into the rod and pulled like I couldn't believe. It also helped getting them out of all the dead trees etc. if largies gave me a rev like that on a 9wt, I would love to see what a big Smallie will do, can't wait.
    Some men go to church on Sundays thinking about fishing, others go fishing thinking about G0d.

flybum and his boet Conrad will have lots of information and knowledge to share about bass, both largemouth and smallmouth.

Personally I think a 9WT for Bass is overkill.
    Last edited by Scythe; 23-03-09 at 04:32 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast