Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zandvlei

Wink Zandvlei management

Hi all,

Thanks to those of you who checked out my story by looking at the Zandvlei trust website, etc. Garnet Price did too, and went a step or two further. You can contact him if you need further evidence, or simply visit me at the zandvlei nature conservation offices off coniston avenue. Feel free any time. I'll be there most of the time on week days between 7:30 and 16:00. Our number is (021) 701 7542.

In answer to Chris Sheldon's question, I am currently responsible for the entire estuary, along with the terrestrial reserve on the northern shoreline. Thanks for your wishes. It is a very demanding job! There is a heap to be done.

To Kyle-J, yes, I mean prawn/bloodworm pumping, cast netting, fishing without a licence, exceeding bag limits, taking of undersize fish, etc. I know there is a huge problem with people doing exactly these things, especially on weekends. Please do let us know promptly if you see anyone doing any of these things. You can contact Rondevlei on weekends and after hours on 021 706 24 04. There should always be someone on duty there. They will respond to calls about Zandvlei.

We have caught cast netters, thieves, arsonists, poachers and others over the past month that I've been here, but we can't be everywhere at once. Law enforcement is also only a part of my duties, so it will really help to have your eyes and ears out there. The key is to let us know IMEDIATELY. Also, if you can get numberplates of vehicles involved, these can be tracked.

On to Windknot. Yes, a private party was granted a trial permit to attempt erradication of carp and barbel from the vlei. I don't know right now if he will continue this year. If he does, I will be on board and checking that he doesn't take out our indigenous fish.

As for a lack of life, come to the reserve in the north. The waters up here are full of small and larger fish. I have yet to see any leery smashes, but the mullet and blue kurper are present in good numbers. The shallows are also bursting with fry. Catch reports show that small stumpnose and steenbras are also around in huge numbers, and leeries are still around. Reports of shoals of very small fish suggests that the leeries have been breeding in the vlei to a limited degree. I also had the mouth opened a week ago to allow a shoal of elf that was hanging around the mouth to enter, so they may there now as well. I can give you guys feedback on what is present after the quaterly net pull on thursday.

And Chris, don't be fooled. Electroshocking can have a much larger effect on total carp and barbel population than one may think. Remember that it was thought that line fishing could never make a dent in the Breede's kob population. Look at it now.

Thank you guys for your comments. Just shout if there's anything you'd like to know or you think I should know.

Also, if anyone wants to go fishing, I'm available every weekday morning from 5:00 to 7:30, and every afternoon from 4pm, and every sunday, provided I'm not hitting the streams. I'm SUPER keen to get out there, so if anyone wants to join me, please let me know! I don't want to post my cell number here on public domain, but if you PM me, I'll pass it on to you and we can arrange it.

Kind regards,

Joshua Gericke

Josh thanks for your comprehensive reply. What is the strategy with rehabilitating the vlei and possibly dredging some of the channels that have been silted up (like the area around the inlet from the concrete canal).
    wat weet 'n mol van kaas

There we where, 10 against a thousand and boy did we get F@ked up, all 1000 of us

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Isnt it ironic, we want to save the planet, should we not be saving ourselves. Btw did someone tell you your fuze is lit.

Quote Originally Posted by grcjos001 View Post
    And Chris, don't be fooled. Electroshocking can have a much larger effect on total carp and barbel population than one may think. Remember that it was thought that line fishing could never make a dent in the Breede's kob population. Look at it now.

Joshua Gericke
    Hi Joshua. Sure it works, but it'll take a HELL of a long time to make time to make a dent on a vlei the size of Zandvlei!! I've seen the equipment in operation in a private syndicated dam, and they battled to get the carp out. One outing with rod and line between a few guys turned out to be much more fruitful.

Am I reading you correctly though, Are you trying to protect carp and barbel in the vlei aswell? If so, WHY???

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was more in answer to windknots comment about the electro shocking being responsibel for the shortage of fish in general...I don't agree with that. I am all for electro-shocking to curtail undesirables!! From what I have personally witnessed, it is perfectly safe, and only momentarily stuns the fish.

Anyway, best of luck with your efforts.

Regards
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 10-02-09 at 06:52 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

hi josh,thanks for your efforts so far.im sure we all appreciate ur work to date.and the guys that fish it often will do what they can to help.my biggest concern is the water clarity.in some spots at the same time of year the vis was over 1m,now its 30cm...????
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Default Zandvlei conservation issues

Quote Originally Posted by grcjos001 View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks to those of you who checked out my story by looking at the Zandvlei trust website, etc. Garnet Prince did too, and went a step or two further. You can contact him if you need further evidence, or simply visit me at the zandvlei nature conservation offices off coniston avenue. Feel free any time. I'll be there most of the time on week days between 7:30 and 16:00. Our number is (021) 701 7542.
    Hi Josh.

I presume you have read this thread http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=1281

It shows some of the involvement of Flytalk members with the Zandvlei Trust and Cape Nature. Hopefully more people will get involved to help protect the vlei. Good luck.

Garnet
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

NO! I'm not protecting carp and barbel. Sorry for the mix up. The point I was making is that by removing the large breeding individuals selectively, you only have to remove a very small portion of the population (on an ongoing basis) to reduce the total population very substantially. In this way, removal of less than 10% of the total population can halve the population in the following year by removing most of the brood stock. This was a VERY BAD THING when applied to kob in the Breede, but a VERY GOOD THING if we can get it right in Zandvlei with regard to the carp and barbel populations. I hope that makes it clearer for everybody...

Water clarity is a big concern for me too. Unfortunately scientific services doesn't do secci disk measurements at Zandvlei at the moment, but I'll be on their case to start. Or maybe they can donate one to me... We therefor have no long term records that I can use to understand what is driving turbidity in the system.

Water clarity depends on many things including carp and barbel activity, amount of nutrients present and the extent of the resultant algal blooms. Perhaps the most important factor is the timing of the opening of the mouth... But that's a separate (and very contentious) issue.

Hope this helps,

Josh

Hi Guys.

im new to the area and really keen to explore. besides zandvlei where else can you hunt Garrick in the area(WC)? shore flyfishing inc esturies.
    are the leerie closer to the mouth in zandvlei?

tnks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2