Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Stream ethics, codes of conduct, do's and don'ts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Sounds like a brilliant way of going about things.

One could also make things a bit interesting by playing it like snooker, where the guy fishing fishes until he drops a fish. Problem with that is if you are fishing with a guy like GGY or MC or Philip, you may never get your chance to fish!
    While I quite like that idea, missing a take = a missed fish. You first have to hook him to drop him. Prefer the missed take idea.
    Also, if one angler is HOT (on the day), the other could wait a while.

At Nationals is only DROPPED 2 fish (one on the lake, one on the Molenaars Sector). I still managed to win both those sessions.
    Now if I had not MISSED so many takes...
    Fishing "take-for-take" forces the angler to make every take count.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    When I fish with a fishing partner on a small stream, we fish "take-for-take".

Basically, one angler fishes until he/she gets a take. Whether the angler lands the fish or not, their partner fishes thereafter until they get a take.
    This ensures fair fishing since an angler can only fish to one more fish than another if they both begin & end the fishing. It also ensures that the non-fishing angler does everything to make sure that the fishing angler gets a take (such as spotting, walking carefully etc), because if they do not, then they keep on fishing.

Penalties in the form of a additional allowed takes to the other angler are levied if the fishing angler rips the line off the water, thereby spooking fish OR after missing a take, puts the fly back into the water (reaction cast).
    Aaaahhh, okay starting to make sense. Earlier this year when I fished with you I wondered why you kept putting casts over my shoulder everytime I raised a fish. I thought you were just being a greedy, rude bast@rd but now I understand that it's how you fish . Perhaps in future, you should enlighten your fishing partners I only wake up on the river around lunchtime, until then I am just discovering where the fish are !

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Aaaahhh, okay starting to make sense. Earlier this year when I fished with you I wondered why you kept putting casts over my shoulder everytime I raised a fish. I thought you were just being a greedy, rude bast@rd but now I understand that it's how you fish . Perhaps in future, you should enlighten your fishing partners I only wake up on the river around lunchtime, until then I am just discovering where the fish are !
    Regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl,

I am sure I did, but since you "only wake up on the river around lunchtime" (your words), you probably don't remember the conversation.

Also in your original post, you failed to mention how generous I was, letting you fish every time I missed a take.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

While I quite like that idea, missing a take = a missed fish. You first have to hook him to drop him. Prefer the missed take idea.
    Also, if one angler is HOT (on the day), the other could wait a while.

At Nationals is only DROPPED 2 fish (one on the lake, one on the Molenaars Sector). I still managed to win both those sessions.
    Now if I had not MISSED so many takes...
    Fishing "take-for-take" forces the angler to make every take count.
    yip, that's what I mean.....'dropped fish' = 'missed take' in my book
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Darryl,
    I am sure I did, but since you "only wake up on the river around lunchtime" (your words), you probably don't remember the conversation.
    Was it before or after your lecture on wading quietly ? If after, I had probably tuned out by then

Also in your original post, you failed to mention how generous I was, letting you fish every time I missed a take.
    My point exactly, if I was only allowed to fish when you missed takes then it was going to be a sad morning

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7