Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another new comer

Default Another new comer

Hi all

I was introduced to fly fishing two years ago on a holiday, and I got hooked straight away. Over the last two years I've acquired my own equipment and been out a few times .. not much luck to be honest. I've now become frustrated with my lack of knowledge on fish, insects and flies - I mean, it's pointless to just cast and hope to catch something with no plan in mind, right? .. So I bought myself Dean Riphagen's Stillwater Trout in South Africa. So far a very interesting read, but I hope to find more information on this forum.

In the meantime, can anyone suggest any trout farms in/around Johannesburg for me to go try out (I've only really been to Brookwood Estate)? I have another week off before varsity starts...

Thanks in advance,
    Johan

I'll send you a PM
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by splork View Post
    Hi all

I was introduced to fly fishing two years ago on a holiday, and I got hooked straight away. Over the last two years I've acquired my own equipment and been out a few times .. not much luck to be honest. I've now become frustrated with my lack of knowledge on fish, insects and flies - I mean, it's pointless to just cast and hope to catch something with no plan in mind, right? .. So I bought myself Dean Riphagen's Stillwater Trout in South Africa. So far a very interesting read, but I hope to find more information on this forum.

In the meantime, can anyone suggest any trout farms in/around Johannesburg for me to go try out (I've only really been to Brookwood Estate)? I have another week off before varsity starts...

Thanks in advance,
    Johan
    Hi Johann, welcome to Flytalk.
    Trout farms are going to teach you very little, will be expensive (you will invariably have to keep and pay for your catch), and you may have to fight for space to "wave" your rod around. My suggestion is to get together with some of the Vaal guys, or join a club in your area, and get to some real fishing.
    I'm sure you will get a lot of help from the forum.
    Remember that it is fine to ask advice and assistance, as there are many who will jump to provide this, but several newcommers have been criticised for asking for help, and after it is given, the forum does not hear from then again, giving the impression that most guys are simply on board to leech information. So, take as much information the guys will give you, but please remember to feedback, and let the forum know how that advice and information works. Feddback is always appreciated .
    Enjoy

Thanks Werner for the PM, and Andre for the welcome.

I'll search around for a local club, and see what goes for what - thanks for the advice. And I'll try to not follow in the footsteps of the type of new members you refer to and will give feedback as I go along .. Just have to make time to get out to the water a bit more often!

Thanks Werner for the PM, and Andre for the welcome.

I'll search around for a local club, and see what goes for what - thanks for the advice. And I'll try to not follow in the footsteps of the type of new members you refer to and will give feedback as I go along .. Just have to make time to get out to the water a bit more often!
    Bit of advise post your exact location here, many people from clubs on this forum will be able to point you to a club close to you.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Rosebank area.

I know of a fly fishing shop in Blackheath who organizes a trip to the Vaal river every other Wednesday ... That's about it.

Rosebank area.

I know of a fly fishing shop in Blackheath who organizes a trip to the Vaal river every other Wednesday ... That's about it.
    Welcome to the forum.. hope you find what you are looking for. be prepared to do a lot of reading, Its addictive..

where u studying?? i am at UJ..

try searching for St Stithians Club, Chris W is in charge of it, they have get togethers etc every now and then
    cheers

andrew

Yea, at UJ.

Thanks, I'll google them

Yea, at UJ.

Thanks, I'll google them
    No need to Google St Stithians.
    Just look under the Fishing Clubs and there is a whole dedicated to them. I'll find it and bump it up for you.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Thanks Splork, I've been away fishing and am back at work Monday. I'll organise our next Stithians function and guess it'll be in a week or two . On Wednesday I'm taking our Junior section down to the Vaal, but I doubt you'd find it very relaxing with all of them!!! Will let you know when the next 'Oldies' session is and you will be made very welcome!!!

Cheers
    Chris
    Stithians Flyfishers
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast