Thread: The Jiggy

Default The Jiggy

An absolute fish catching machine, tie a few of these and enjoy the results.

The aim with the Jiggy was to create a pattern with as many as possible fish catching triggers. The fly should be easy to tie, shouldn’t foul while casting and offer a totally different presentation to fish. Competitive fly fishing rules also don’t allow the use of dumbbell eyes.

The idea of hiding the hook was also a factor, especially when fishing heavily fished waters. A jig action is proven to fool fish and also means the fly never stops swimming. Top jaw hookups also mean less fish lost and more leverage when pulling. The design of the Jiggy lends itself to be bounced on the dam or river bottom and leads to less snagging. With the bead off the hook shank the jigging action is greatly enhanced. Always use a non slip mono loop to tie on this fly.

Popular colours include all the proven combinations – black, peacock, olive, brown and orange. Tie some sparser and smaller Jiggys for clear water conditions. It is also a deadly river pattern down to a size 16 hook and can be dead drifted and actively twitched.

Recipe

Thread – 6/0 colour to match fly, 8/0 for size 12 hooks and smaller.
    Hook - Standard down eye nymph hook 8 – 16
    Hot Spot - Flouro Fiber
    Flash - Flashabou
    Tail - Marabou
    Rib - Copper Wire
    Body - Peacock, dubbing or chenille.
    Over wing - Marabou
    Bead - Tungsten 2mm – 4mm. Bead size should be in proportion with the fly size.

STEP 1

Thread the bead onto a piece of monofilament and burn the end of the mono. Grip the bead with the one hand and let the mono. burn into a blob, blow it out and let the bead slide onto the blob. Flatten the mono. with pliers and trim to half of the hook shanks’ length.

STEP 2

Lay down a thread layer half way down the hook shank. Proceed with the thread towards the hook eye and tie in the mono. with bead. Tie the mono. down towards the hook bend.

Tails fouling the hook can be very frustrating and fish won’t take the fly in this state. There is various ways to prevent fouling of the hook. In the above example a piece of fishing line/tippet is tied on the near side of the hook shank, looped and tied in again on the far side. Buck tail, calf tail and deer hair can also be used to create a stiff base.

STEP 3

In the above picture Flouro Fiber is used to prevent the tail from fouling. The added advantage being it creates a hot spot at the same time. Tie in four strands of flashabou on top of the Flouro Fiber. Trim the fibers at the point where it meets the mono. to create a even body.

STEP 4

Tie in a bunch of marabou approximately twice the hook shank length. Lift the marabou and proceed with the thread forward. Tie the marabou down and trim

STEP 5

Tie in a piece of copper wire by the tip and wrap the thread to the base of the tail.

STEP 6

Tie in two strands of peacock herl, proceed with the thread forwards to a point 3mm behind the bead. Wrap the peacock herl to form the body, tie it down. Wrap the wire, tie it down and trim.

STEP 7

Turn the fly in the vise and tie in a marabou overwing covering the hook point. Trim, whip finish and apply head cement.

A trout and bass clouser!

Looks cool...thanks for sharing.

Nice tie Philip, thanks for sharing.

Shouldn't the marabou on top be a little longer though? Sort of "clouser" style...as Jan mentioned. Would give the fly a great "baitfishy" profile I reckon.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Shouldn't the marabou on top be a little longer though? Sort of "clouser" style...as Jan mentioned. Would give the fly a great "baitfishy" profile I reckon.

Cheers
    Mike
    HI MIKE,

If the marabou is too long it wont pulsate the same. Tie it longer, you can always pinch some off while fishing.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    HI MIKE,

If the marabou is too long it wont pulsate the same. Tie it longer, you can always pinch some off while fishing.

DAVE
    Hi Dave

Also true...good tip that. I sometimes do that with marabou tails. I tie them in long, and then pinch them off as needed to length, at the water. Sometimes a longer tail is good, sometimes shorter.

Mike

Great looking fly Phillip.

Very cool fly Philip
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Cheers
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

I am sure you can tie in the marabou longer, may only concern being it will fall more to the side of the hook when wet, throwing the fly off balance.

I have been tying the Jiggy with a shorter overwing from the start and haven't experience this problem. When the fish are tail nipping pinch off some marabou of the tail. Also just maintain a steady retrieve till you feel the fish on your hand or stop the retrieve and let the fly dive down.

The jigging effect of this fly when tied on with a non slip mono loop is amazing, it dives vertically down due to the bead positioning and the effect of the tail and wing resistance.

Cheers,

Philip

Methinks the Largies,Yellow and Bass/ Barbel might quite like this fly.
    I shall be tying some up soon for winter as well as a "special spot ".
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659