Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TFO 2/3 Weight

I struggled with the NZ setup and I recall my first few outings with cammo, we use to spend a lot of time fixing leaders and tippets.

as for rod action, my 6'6 2wt struggles with a tandem rig. Might need to change my casting action, but it's definitely not as sweet as my 8'6 2wt & 8' 3wt
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

3wt Finess is my choice of rod

You have the shorter "Explorer" as your back-up rod.
    "Vermoëns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¬ Lou Holtz

Thanks for the input guys, but alas- you're not helping

I have been offered a 2 wt to try this afternoon. Maybe this will help in the decision making.
    Peter

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going - Jim Ryun

Let's keep it real..

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    This I find strange. I hadly ever fish the streams with a single fly nowadays. I cannot remember when last i used only a single dry. I use 2 dries, dry and soft hackle, dry and numph, 2 nymphs, etc..etc.. I never attach them NZ style, as this only leads to tangles, and besides, droppers are better for drag free drifts. As for rod weight, I do this with my 000 as well, and have no problems casting them or controlling them. I understand that it can take some getting used to, but the flies are so light, they dont change the rod action at all. A lot of the control problems you experience, may be related to optimum leader length for the setup.
    You are obviously not targetting specific fish Andre. Personally I see little point in using two flies when I am targetting specific trout. Rather try choosing the right fly for starters and then fishing it delicately and confidently !
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    You are obviously not targetting specific fish Andre. Personally I see little point in using two flies when I am targetting specific trout. Rather try choosing the right fly for starters and then fishing it delicately and confidently !
    Point....but even when targeting specific fish, you will always cover him better with multiple flies, besides, its more fun, place bets with your buddy as to which one he will take

I just prefer it this way...again..each to his own.

I see little point in fly fishing anyway...whats the point in spending all this money on tackle, waking up early, petrol to go fishing, stuffing yourslf up on a 3km hike up the river, catching all these fish...and to top it all...letting the b@stards go.
    Dumb hey?...but we do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Point....but even when targeting specific fish, you will always cover him better with multiple flies, besides, its more fun, place bets with your buddy as to which one he will take

I just prefer it this way...again..each to his own.

I see little point in fly fishing anyway...whats the point in spending all this money on tackle, waking up early, petrol to go fishing, stuffing yourslf up on a 3km hike up the river, catching all these fish...and to top it all...letting the b@stards go.
    Dumb hey?...but we do it.
    hehe Just pulling the p1$$ boet. Catch you later at Macassor? I'm leaving shortly...cheers!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2