Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sad about Flywaters Bellville

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    True.. I am also a busniss owner....in Stellenbosch and business is extremely difficult. People are definately holding on to their money. I deliver to various Spars, 1 OK and a Friendly Grocer a vast selection of Cakes, tarts and savouries from Gordons bay to Wellington. The orders dropped drasticly. Its not the product.

Talking to my supplier and to the ones I deliver sales have dropped. Meat, fruit & veg sales has gone up with up to 30%. This is money related. Keep in mind this includes the price hike. Thus the amount of sales is maybe still the same but the price is up.

Talking for myself, I am really think twice before I buy more tying material. Its just difficult times.

But if you can keep standing the compitition will become less.

Its bad but a reality.

Ian

Last year it was retail that went into a recession and this year its the manufacturing, small business, etc.

In our business we started getting rid of debt. We do not buy stuff on credit, not even clothing. We have no clothing accounts. We are staying away from debt as far as possible. The only thing that we are paying back is our home bond and thats that. If we cant buy something cash we dont buy it. We save up for it and then we go back to buy it.

I believe if you can stay away from debt and start living by paying cash for things you will make it.

Its harder getting business these days, but one needs to look at things differently and in a new perspective. These guys that used to do the large billboards for the cigarette companies hit a speed bump after ads got banned for cigarettes. What did they do? They changed their outlook and searched for new horisons.

A client of mine reckons that they sell more R20 million Choppers than they sell R6 Million Choppers, because there are more people who has got enough money to buy a R20 Million Chopper than the R6 Million Chopper guy. The guy buying the R6 Million Choper might just have R7 Million and now he buys that Chopper.

There is still a lot of money in SA, but people are holding on to the spare money becasue a lot of people got milked last year with inflation, petrol prices, food prices, interest rates and the ever increasing cost of living.

Do yourself a favor and go to the Suermarket to get a few stuff. Lets say you walk out with three bags. What would that cost? You can round it off to at least a R100/bag and then, yet again there are no luxuries!

Another thing my wife and I decided was to open up one of those 32 day accounts in order to save money by having the money go into the account by means of debit order. This way we know that when December comes we have something put away that we can access and use for whatever purpose.

We had one of those money market accounts, but it didnt work, because we use to take money from it when we needed some for the business and it never goes back to where it came from.

That is terrible news. I wish sean and co. well for any future developments. If I am able to help in any way let me know.
    Peter

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going - Jim Ryun

Let's keep it real..

Cash is definately the way to survive.Credit gets you nice things you dont really need.I also save money for that which I WANT,but once I have the cash in my hand and have to spend it I always think twice,and usually end up not buying the WANT anymore.There is always something that will happen when you dont have money(New tyres,Baby arrival,Accident,Fridge packs up etc)and if you got what we call F''''''k You money it no longer interferes with our way of life.Look after the cents and the rands will accumilate.

the worst is, there is absolutely no consolation in knowing that everyone else is in the same boat as you!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    the worst is, there is absolutely no consolation in knowing that everyone else is in the same boat as you!
    SA Kids go to the UK to work and save money because their currency is stronger than ours. Everyone from Africa wants to come down here because we are the Land of Milk and Honey.

It makes you think that we still have a lot to be thankful for.

Could you imagine paying R1 000 000 for a loaf of bread? I think it costs something like a cazillion dollars for a loaf in Zim. And at least we got hospitals that work.

So we can still count our blessings.....

Just recieved this email from a mate in the banking sector.

This indeed is sad news,Sean i wish you and Mrs Mills best of luck for all your future endevours,not sure how i could help but if there is anything give me a shout.. Will pop in during the week.

Best of Luck
    Nick.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Doors closed on Saturday. Flywaters is no more.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Sean, I wish you and your lovely wife everything of the best for the future. I know what you are going through Boet. The k@k just doesn't seem to end! All we can do is try to stay positive in these bleak times. The tide has to turn sometime or other
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Spoke to Sean about a nice venture. If you have friends/colleagues coming down to Cape town to fish our streams, we would be able to put together a nice DVD of the outing. Not sure what the price would be, but some memories are just priceless.

Here's one I did for a mate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLDc-wJJInY

First attempt, but I'm sure Sean can do a better job of it than I did

PS: Quality is much better on DVD. The uploaded file is a flash file and its quality is no good.
    Last edited by Rendier; 26-01-09 at 09:31 AM.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast