Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Malindi, Kenya

Hallo guys,

Maybe its time for an update on this topic.

Anyone with recent experience in the Malindi/Watamu area? I have heard some great stories from my Kenyan colleagues about that area, especially the diving.

I migt be going to that area very soon and i want to be prepared. Any advice or info will be excellent.

Ciao

Troep

Charter is your best option, forget about onshore - the place is being raped, like the rest of Africa's coastline. Try Hemingways or the local charter in Malindi - I forget their name. Very good opportunities to catch sailfish on fly and the other open sea species.

Also, beware of pirates - this is known to be a base for them...

Was up there in Feb this year, stayed at Hemingways and chartered a boat for three days. Forget about fishing from the coast, as Beefy says, the coastline is gill netted/dynamited/etc.... We had a tough time and only raised two fish on our trip, hooked one, landed zero. That's fishing I guess... I wouldn't recommend Hemingways as the accommodation has really deteriorated, and is a bit uptight (collared shirts, pants, and closed shoes for dinner) and value for money it's waaaaaay overpriced. If you book a charter from the resort for a day it will set you back $1,000. There are some independent boats for hire and alternate accommodation next door to Hemingways which I would recommend you look into (forget the info off the top of my head now). Also, take all your tackle/leaders/flies with you, I was charged $20 per sailfish fly!

Thanks for the feedback guys, quite sad to hear this... I was really looking forward to some decent surf fishing...

I will take some proper pictures and post when i get back.

Lets hope i get a good chance to fish.

Ciao

Hallo guys,

I am sitting here on the beach, almost in tears...

Awesome place, no fish...

I can only imagine what this place must have been a few years back.

Awesome reefs, sandbanks, drop offs etc, but I havent seen a single fish, not even small fish.

However, the guys here are saying the offshore fishing is still excellent. Dorado, Sailies, GT's etc.

I will also recommend this place as a holiday destination, really nice and quiet. If you want peace and quiet, and no TV or laptops around you, this is the place.

I will post some pics when I am back.

Asante sana!!

Ciao

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3