Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Replacing Grips

The rod is a Sage Launch 5wt. I use it as my backup but often the slow action suits me better on some days.

Sage should replace the segment with a factory stock one, shouldn't be a problem.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Sage should replace the segment with a factory stock one, shouldn't be a problem.
    Thanks, nice to know

Quote Originally Posted by ulquiorra View Post
    have a question I the same problem as garage but not as hectic, can't I use some sort of heat-shrink wrap over the grip to protect it ?
    Hi
    There is a nice shrink grip the saltwater boat guys use on their rods
    I have had it put on my 12wt as the cork was taking strain
    Looks like black rubber that shrinks on and gives great grip, especially when wet.
    If you are in KZN I can put you on to someone.
    It only works with 3 pc and more rods as the shrink cant fit over 1st guide.
    Regards
    Craig

I have replaced grips with two methods:

Method 1

1. Remove existing cork grip and reelseat.
    2. Rebuild with new components.

This is the best way but can be expensive and difficult if one does not have access to the componentry.

Method 2.

1. Remove existing cork grip and reelseat form the section to be replaced.
    2. Find the bottom piece of a broken rod where the grip and reelseat are in good condition and the ID (inside diameter) of the tube section is greater than the OD (outside diameter) of the tube section of the rod to be repaired.
    3. Cut off the rod adjacent to the grip (at the winding check) with a fine tooth hacksaw and sand smooth and square.
    4. Slide the male tube section into the female section (comprising the new grip etc) and bond into position with quickset epoxy. Use a new winding check if you can get one

This method is quick and easy. I find that most shops have broken rod pieces that they will part with and have repaired a few rods this way. It is the quickest and cheapest method.

Default Replacing grip

I have a rod with the cork grip coming apart. Can anyone recommend a rod-builder that will be willing to do this? I have pm'ed a prominent rod builder on this site but have had no reply from him.

Also, any ideas of how much this would cost?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Botes View Post
    I have a rod with the cork grip coming apart. Can anyone recommend a rod-builder that will be willing to do this? I have pm'ed a prominent rod builder on this site but have had no reply from him.

Also, any ideas of how much this would cost?

Thanks
    It is a fair amount of work Conrad - but certainly feasible and a lot simpler if the reel seat can be left in place. Of course the eyes on the butt section also have to be removed and replaced.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Conrad thinking about how that grip is broken
    if you can get some of that shrink stuff from Craig it would sort it out
    mabey a lil squirt of water proof wood gluein the crack and then the shrink
    wrap
    The bomber has no Stripping guide on the first section so it will fit

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

If it was my rod,
    I would rather cut off the old cork and replace the grip entirely.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    I have replaced grips with two methods:

Method 1

1. Remove existing cork grip and reelseat.
    2. Rebuild with new components.

This is the best way but can be expensive and difficult if one does not have access to the componentry.
    Niel, can one do it without removing the reel seat? I'm a novice fly rod builder (half a dozen) but so far I've always installed the reel seat first and then added the cork grip later.

I have an almost brand new Orvis T3 12wt here with a grip that is just too narrow for my liking - I have 3wts with fatter grips So I'm thinking of ripping the "girlie" cork off and putting a decent grip on it. There's only a winding check and small binding ahead of it.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3