Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sage Fly Rod Pricing

Default Sage Fly Rod Pricing

Afternoon all,

I haven't been on the Forum for a while but a thread posted regarding the Sage TCX caught my eye. Just so everyone understands, this posting is not a plug for Sage fly-rods but rather to rectify the perception many may have out there regarding Sage rod (and reel) pricing. This is the thread I was reading: http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...highlight=sage

Mike Newby stated in the thread that a 5-weight Sage TCX would retail for R10,000.00. That was indeed the case but since that post things have changed dramatically, and I'm happy to say for the better as far as Sage rod prices are concerned here in South Africa. FFF has been appointed the sole distributor of Sage products in South Africa after much negotiation with Sage. This means pricing has been reduced from the original pricing we received to distributor pricing. What does this mean for the consumer? Much better pricing than was formerly the case.

As an example (and I'm using the 590-4 TCX which was the example on this Forum), the 590-4 TCX has been reduced from a retail price of R10,400.00 to R8,340.00. That's a 20% reduction in Sage pricing across the board.

I know it's all doom and gloom in the world marketplace but at least there is some "relief" for South African fly-fishing consumers.

I hope this clears up any confusion regarding Sage retail pricing.

Regards

Dean

Only R8340 for a rod?

I feel much better now.

How about the rest of you?

Agree 100%

My most expensive rod is a Horizon 5wt XRS - bought it then for R1800, they are now going for R2180 (last time I checked).

I have never casted a sage, most expensive rod I have ever casted was a scott; but I must say the idea of bashing around the Vaal with a >R8k rod isn't for me - the stuff nightmares are made of.

I am very impressed with my Horizon, so much so that I am buying another as soon as I get the financial freedom to do so.

Deano

Thanks for the informative post... now GFY

True this...I know I've stated that paying R10k for a rod (IMHO) is madness...but we all know the Sage product is great. I own some myself.
    Unlike Mike Meeow...I just made an argument for both sides of the "stream". Sage's are pricey, for sure...and I was basing my calculation on it costing $795.00 in the States...times exchange rate plus some shipping fees plus some insurance...R 10k easily at that time.

Frontier Fly Fishing is now the sole distributors for Sage in South Africa. Which is good news as everyone can benefit from the pricing that will follow, and the back-up support they give. I'll always say Sage is a fantastic product, there's no denying it.

Cheers
    Mike

5. Default

Wow! A 20% discount... Still a little out of people's pockets in the current economic climate! Sure u moving alot of sages of late? When the rand weakens against the dollar, prices of imported goods go up, even if they were imported earlier at the a more favourable rate. Shipping charges and duties are also put into this. Makes you think who's getting screwed! So if anyone gets angry about Saffa's buying online and getting it for cheaper, they got no leg to stand on!
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Sorry, this has not too much to do with the topic, other than the sentimental value we have with our gear. This item was a Sage rod. I had been reading a trout and salmon mag during my toilet quiet time and was reading the editors note (aug 2008) and someone had written in the "letters" section, of his bag with a lifetime of flies, and all extra stuff we collect, plus his spare Sage being nicked while he was fishing a short distance away. The editor, also had his Sage rod stolen, but if you read his beautiful description of what the rod has "seen", weatherwise, fishwise, scenerywise, History, never to be witnessed again. This is what makes you take note, and special care, of the kit we have....across all price ranges....we have had such special moments with a specific this or that, and to lose it to theft is always going to hurt more than slamming it in the door. Rather than start a new thread, this story was poignant when you lose a classic rod. Sorry
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

The really weird thing is that instead of talking about boycotting overly expensive rod manufactures like Sage, our hearts tend to skip a beat when we see how 'valuable' (expensive!!!!) their rods have become! A Sage then becomes an object of desire limited to the wealthy, and all we can think about is hopefully one day owning one. It's ridiculous man! I am so glad I'm way past that stage. The only thing I desire now is a quality fishing experience everytime I go fishing. There is so much out there that we tend to take for granted. I have chosen to wake up, take cognisance of the more important things in life and rather take the material crap that the world tries to seduce us with for granted. I am almost embarrassed to admit that I own two Sages these days, because of this very association.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 27-01-09 at 07:12 AM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

No, It's not about a brand of rod.....this being applicable to my post, but rather the "What we've gone through".....Us and our rods or equipment. We all can write volumes of what we've gone through with our tackle......it's about the memories and silent stories. I don't know the ins and outs of copying from books etc, so I don't want to put it on here but the title....."A Lost companion".
    Whatever rod it is......There, is the title to so many stories.....
    I should have put this elsewhere, sorry guys
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

Rols, I am with you on this one. Talk about a sentimental attachement to things... I used to travel with her all over, and Mozamabique was our favorite. Long journeys, short dirty weekends, we did it all, and as a couple, we went through some pretty tough times in the process.

Truth be told I actually hated the b*tch. She loved to see me on my knees peering under her chassy or scratching around under her bonnet.

But then it all started going pear shape in our relationship when I first saw that Land Cruiser and I knew that I just needed to have her. So, I cheated and our paths seperated. I still travel to all these places, but my new travel companion is so much more good looking, capable and of far better quality. Gets the same job done, but in syle and so much more effective and advance in technology.

Still think about her every now and then, but our paths probably should have seperated earlier than they did. I still hate her.

BTW did I tell you that I recently aquirred my first SAGE rod?

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post

BTW did I tell you that I recently aquirred my first SAGE rod?
    Heh heh, and so how's the Sage? Don't have one but have cast a couple and they really are sweet sticks.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast