Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Komati river near Badplaas

Default Komati river near Badplaas

I have the unique oppertunity to fish a virgin stretch of the Komati river in a pvt reserve about 20km's from Badplaas. Anyone fished the area before? What species are in the Komati in this area and what type of flies would be most affective?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Cool

Werner,

We used to fish Ntshegane Lodge (spelling??) a long time ago. Fishing could be awesome ;-) Flies:
    1. San juan and other bloodworm patterns
    2. Caddis-mostly tan like the Plaza pupa or the small v-ribs. Smaller than the Vaal. Peeping caddis.
    3. Heptagenidae ? mayflies. Big head and long tails are the trigger.
    4. Klinkhammers
    5. Small stimulators
    6. CDC & Elks

5X tippet and a strong 4 or then a 5 weight. I lost a few good fish on a light 4. They are brutes for their size.
    Have a look at the slideshow on my Blog for some ideas most will work.

Don't dispair those fish are incredibly fickle!!

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    I have the unique oppertunity to fish a virgin stretch of the Komati river in a pvt reserve about 20km's from Badplaas. Anyone fished the area before? What species are in the Komati in this area and what type of flies would be most affective?
    Prepare to bleed...

The river has smallscale yellowfish in it. They are impossible to fool most times. There are days when they co-operate though...perseverance on your part will pay off. Dry fly...dry and dropper...and conventional upstream nymphing all are effective. Your best bet is to scan the water and look for fish activity. If you can spot them, then see what they are doing. Feeding on the surface, try small dry flies. Just under the suface (but not rising or rising occasionally) try a dry and dropper. Otherwise NZ rig.
    In the deep slow pools...use a NZ rig (conventional upstream nymphing alla Vaal style) with your indicator far above your flies...and cast upstream into the pool. Both flies must be weighted or have bead heads. As the flies land in the water, watch the indicator like a hawk..if it just twitches, strike. The fish are attracted by the "plopping" sound of the two flies, and will often come up and look and take. But they reject just as fast.
    All your Vaal flies will work...just make sure you start off with slightly smaller flies, and they must be weighted. Flies like the yellow caddis "shrimp" fly that Horst Filter ties up works nicely too. You can even try small woolly buggers and a steady retrieve through the deeper pools.
    Also, try caddis style flies, with a bead head, # 12, #14 and #16, tied a little "flashy". Like Flashabou for the body, red wire for the rib, peacock dubbing for the thorax. Or, chartreuse dubbing body, green wire for rib, peacock dubbing for thorax. And so on. The #14, #16, #18 mayfly nymph patterns like the CDC mayfly works too...with a small bead head. Also atomic worms, san juan worms, and san juan worms tied with chartreuse micro chenille.

Good luck! Nice area to fish by the way.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-02-09 at 07:52 AM.

Thanks for the excellent info guys, much appreciated. Looks like it's gonna be fun. From what I understand there will be oppertunity for upstream pocket fishing as well as nymphing deeper pools. Only problem is the reserve has lions and leopards so I'll have to watch my ass. Apparently they've put out cages for the crocs so I should be ok. Gonna be loads of fun.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Werner,

As you know this is my 'second-home turf'!

Pls PM me where you're going as it is probably my mate's place. Please let me know when you're going as you can stay at my farm and I'll try and make it up
    there as well without treading on your territory!

Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Werner

PS have Old Boys committee meeting tonite, will organise next Stithians FFishers dates
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Please PM me I'll come with cook, clean, fish, carry luggage ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    Please PM me I'll come with cook, clean, fish, carry luggage ;-)
    YF, let me check it out maybe we can organise a flytalk trip. Will keep you posted.

the advice so far has been quality ofcourse, however it still depends on what's in the water.

Your best bet is to turn over rocks.

I'll bet you even odds that you will find Red & Brown bloodworm in #18 and upwards and plain non descript MF Nymphs in #18 and up with the occasional tan, beige and olive caddis larvae.

These are imitated well enough with red wire brassies, tiny San Juan worms and the ubiquitous GRHE and variant emergers and dry flies based on that.

Small buggers will also graft.

The big thing is going to be to get in tune with the fish, SS can take and reject a fly without registering any form of movement on an indicator. If you're fishing blind upstream, add an indicator, it will help and make sure you fish a long, thin leader. You can CZN for SS and LS, but only if you get close enough without spooking them, this is a problem when you're fishing thin AND gin clear water.

If you're sightfishing, be sure to keep your eyes peeled like a hawk, any sort of movement towards/around your fly probably means you just had (and missed) a take.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Do a search on "komati gorge" and "doornkop".

What's the name of the nature reserve - I'm pretty sure there are none within 30km of badplaas with lions or crocs for that matter?
    Check your knots!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast