Thread: Help for a Visitor

Default Help for a Visitor

Hello everyone. I'm mailing from the UK and will be visiting South Africa for the first time at the end of February, primarily to visit an old friend who now lives in Sedgefield. As an avid flyfisher (salt and freshwater), I'll be bringing some equipment in the hopes of getting in a few sessions while in Sedgefield.

I've been reading the forums on this site for a couple of weeks and have already gained a lot of useful information from you guys. Now I could do with some specific advice as I have very limited time in the area. I've already noted the saltwater opportunities at Knysna and plan to fish there for the garrick.

What really interests me is the Swartvlei saltwater fishery as I'll be staying very close to there, and the Groenvlei bass fishery as I'm a big fan of LM Bass. Can anyone give me any help or tips as to fly fishing opportunities on these venues.

Many thanks in anticipation
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter F View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm mailing from the UK and will be visiting South Africa for the first time at the end of February, primarily to visit an old friend who now lives in Sedgefield. As an avid flyfisher (salt and freshwater), I'll be bringing some equipment in the hopes of getting in a few sessions while in Sedgefield.

I've been reading the forums on this site for a couple of weeks and have already gained a lot of useful information from you guys. Now I could do with some specific advice as I have very limited time in the area. I've already noted the saltwater opportunities at Knysna and plan to fish there for the garrick.

What really interests me is the Swartvlei saltwater fishery as I'll be staying very close to there, and the Groenvlei bass fishery as I'm a big fan of LM Bass. Can anyone give me any help or tips as to fly fishing opportunities on these venues.

Peter
    Hi Peter.
    Sedgefield and Plettenberg bay, i can help you with, Knysna, unfortunatly, you will have to get help from someone else, as my knowlege of the lagoon there is limited.
    Sedgefield estuary, is sometimes good at the mouth for leeries, althoug, hard work if the wind is blowing. Swartvlei can be good at the far side of the vlei.
    The problem is that you need a boat to get there, as there is no vehicle or foot access. The next problem, is that even if you do have a boat, the launching is all private, although if you go to Pine Lake marina, and ask nicely, they may allow you to launch.
    remember that you need a Nature conservation permit to launch, as well as a saltwater angling license for you and the boat, for fishing anywhere on Swartvlei and Sedgefield. they are really strict, and when we were there over Christmas and new year, were inspected several times.
    Let us know if you need any more info.
    Andre

Default East Sussex

Peter

Hi there Peter,

I used to work in Sheffield Park,next to the Bluebell Railway.We did our grocery shopping in Uckfield or Haywards Heath. Play time took place in Brighton.

Where about you from?

Unfortunately I live way up north in Pretoria ie inland so I won't be able to take you out but I'm sure there are willing folk on the forum to help you out.

Regards

Hi there I know Sedgefield very well send me a mail juan@eapp.co.za -

Hi Peter,

Visit Peter Bailey at Grant's sports in the Woodmill Lane centre in Knysna.

If you do a search on the forum you will also find lots of info. on the lagoon.
    Feb. is one of the best months to fish in this area.

The Belvedere point is good two hours before high. It will be a huge advantage if you have access to a boat. The guys at Grant sports offer trips. Might also be worthwile visiting the Goukamma estuary at Buffels bay between Knysna and Sedgefield. Peter will aslo give you good advice on Groenvlei. I have fished there a few times, lots of bass, think the lake record is 4kg +

Enjoy and would like to hear a report back,

Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Hi there Peter,

I used to work in Sheffield Park,next to the Bluebell Railway.We did our grocery shopping in Uckfield or Haywards Heath. Play time took place in Brighton.

Where about you from?

Unfortunately I live way up north in Pretoria ie inland so I won't be able to take you out but I'm sure there are willing folk on the forum to help you out.

Regards
    Hi Gerrit, I'm from Eastbourne on the south coast, just down the road from Brighton so I'm right in your old stamping ground! Brighton is still pretty good for play time!!

Hi Gerrit, I'm from Eastbourne on the south coast, just down the road from Brighton so I'm right in your old stamping ground! Brighton is still pretty good for play time!!
    Hi Peter,

Excellent!!

A friend of mine work for some Chemical company close to Eastbourne.

Anyway,hope you got sorted with your upcoming trip to SA.

Cheers

Ps.Say hi to Testco's

Hi Peter,

I've send you a personal message concerning both an old Vicar of Rye also Knysna heads..

Cheers,
    Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Thanks everyone. Loads of great help and friendship here and I can't believe that so many are familiar with the area where I live in southern England, it really is a small world. I'm certainly looking forward to the first of what I'm sure will be many trips to South Africa.