Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Members' locations on Google Earth

Default Members' locations on Google Earth

Pierre, on another forum that I frequent they have invited members to submit their Google Earth locations, which are then shared with all members. It is very interesting to see where all members are located around the world. I am not sure exactly how this is done but it would be interesting to see if anybody else likes the idea and then we could look into it some more.

Anybody like the idea?

I reckon this is a brilliant idea. :-)
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Works something like this:

You can save folders of placemarks in Google Earth, so we made a file containing the locations for everyone who submits their location. You click the member name, and it zooms around the planet to that person.

Way too technical for me but I'm sure no trouble for Pierre.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    Works something like this:

You can save folders of placemarks in Google Earth, so we made a file containing the locations for everyone who submits their location. You click the member name, and it zooms around the planet to that person.

Way too technical for me but I'm sure no trouble for Pierre.
    Good idea Kevin. Incidentally, I have chartered the whole of the Elandspad on Google, naming every known pool. I think a lot of the guys will find this of interest. I will in due course post the link, once i discover how to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Good idea Kevin. Incidentally, I have chartered the whole of the Elandspad on Google, naming every known pool. I think a lot of the guys will find this of interest. I will in due course post the link, once i discover how to do it
    Too true-that map with the pools is awesome- one can see that alot of effort went into it!

I've done most of the Rhodes area... and most of the other spots I have fished...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Hi Guys, yes it can be done there is an XML file that everyone can download that points to another XML file on the server thats gets updated so everytime you open Google Earth it updates from the server. Give me some time to put it together. I can either put on a form field under my stuff for people to submit their Google earth coordinates or you can mail them to me. Propably better to mail them to info@flytalk.co.za so i can validate them.

Thanks Pierre,

Have emailed you my GPS co-ordinates

Default Testing

I am running Google

What I think one must do is right click on a marker and select "save as...". Save as a KMZ file and post that file.

For someone else to view the file: open google earth, now double click on the downloaded KMZ file and it will automatcially zoom in to the location.

Try it with the attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by spig View Post
    I am running Google

What I think one must do is right click on a marker and select "save as...". Save as a KMZ file and post that file.

For someone else to view the file: open google earth, now double click on the downloaded KMZ file and it will automatcially zoom in to the location.

Try it with the attachment.
    That works for me
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast