Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Breede estuary

Default Breede estuary

Does anyone know if the Breede estuary is producing reasonable fish again?

Michael

Didn't you see the reports on the shark???

Is that not reasonable enough?

Last info I had was about three weeks ago. There were a few Leeries of up to 6kgs around (on bait) and also big numbers of Elf.

Nothing more recent.

Cheers
    MC

leaving the office right now, and on my way up there, should be on the water by 2pm. Have heard of some nice catches. Will send you a PM is there is anything worthwile if you want?

Why not drop the response in the thread so we all know whats going on Thanks

Thanks MC. I heard about the Elf, but not the Leeries.

And as for that shark: A reasonable fish?? Me and my Sage 15 wt look down on it

Me and my Sage 15 wt look down on it
    Keep it that way. When you see it eye to eye, it's time to get worried.

Large Kob have been coming out as well.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Here's the shark story: (don't know who wrote it though)

I write to give you the details of our research expedition to the Breede River during the week January 19-25.
    The purpose of the expedition was to determine whether reports of Zambezi (bull) sharks in the Breede River could be confirmed. Scientifically, confirmed reports would be extremely relevant on a global scale as this would represent the most south-westerly distribution of bull sharks in Africa.

Joining us on the expedition was Dr. Steve Lamberth and his team from MCM, Hennie Papenfuss from Big Fish Safari and a team of four from SASC. We fished for 3 days with no luck & were rewarded on the 4th day when Hennie caught a bull shark on his line. After an hour and a half struggle with the fish (during which it towed him 2.5km further upstream), Hennie managed to tire her enough to bring her close to shore for landing. Our team then brought her carefully to the shore, where we were able to collect all the required data.
    We measured her, tagged her with two acoustic continuous tags and one spaghetti tag, and gathered genetic samples in order to determine whether bull sharks in the Breede River represent a distinct population from those found elsewhere in South Africa.
    She is a world-record breaking shark measuring 4 metres total length, weighing in the vicinity of 550-600kg. This is the largest bull shark known to science - the previous maximum size was thought to be 3.5 metres TL. We also suspect she was heavily pregnant and may very well be using the Breede as a pupping ground. Scientifically speaking, this discovery is huge and groundbreaking.

Following the tagging, we proceeded to track her for 43 continuous hours. She spent the majority of the time in the estuary, with only a few hours in the surf zone just outside the river mouth.

To speak quite frankly, it was the most incredible experience of my life and I am so excited about the research we will continue to do. One of the major problems is acquiring the funding to continue the research, as it is vitally important we return to the Breede within the next 2 weeks to continue tracking her.

PLEASE NOTE THERE IS WILL BE AN IMMEDIATE BAN ON SHARK FISHING IN THE BREEDE RIVER IN ORDER TO ENSURE THE CONSERVATION OF THIS MAGNIFICENT ANIMAL!!! I BEG YOU TO ADHERE TO THIS BAN & BE PART OF AN AMAZING SCIENTIFIC AND CONSERVATION INITIATIVE.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Kyle-J

How did your breede trip go?

Brent

Brent,
    we had terrible weather on friday and saturday, wind was pumping and there were thunderstorms on saturday! did a little with the conventional tackle.... not too productive. Sunday the weather cleared up nicely. We didcided to take the boat upriver and try for a few of those beeeeeg kob that lurk there (a mate got one of 37kg's on saturday!) but nothing on th kob front so had loads of fun flicking prawns to the willing grunter. ended up with a few very nice sized (all on conventional tackle as the chaps i went with dont ff)

We leaft on sunday but the mate who landed the large kob stayed on, he managed another 2 large fish one of 22kg's and another of 47kg's.....!!!!!!!

Although we didnt target them there appeared to be a fw larger Garrick higher up (near the powerlines), evident by their surface activity. and LOADS of elf.... just about every live bait sent out was chomped in half...

So there appear to be loads of fish around.

lastly, fishing at karrols (sp?) in the early hours of sat morning the boat behined us was shouting that they just managed to land a small kob as a shark came up behined their boat... didnt see it myself but we know they are there!

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast