Thread: Sensitivity to epoxy

Default Sensitivity to epoxy

Last weekend I assembled the butt section of the rod I'm busy building, using epoxy and applied the Flexcoat to the top 2 sections of the rod. Felt wierd all of last week, like I was coming down with a cold or something. Started feeling better on Saturday and decided to finish off the rod yesterday, putting the Flexcoat epoxy finish over the 2 bottom sections of the rod.

Even though I was working in a well ventilated room, after spending a grand total of about 2 hours in the room, this morning I feel like I smoked a box of cigarettes yesterday and just generally feel kuk. Went to gym this morning and was clearly operating on half power.

Anyone else who works with epoxy experience this? I reckon this will be the last rod I build if it's going to make me feel like this.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 09-02-09 at 10:15 AM.

I get the same when I work with fibreglass...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

That's why I love building rods...the BUZZ I get!

No, in all seriousness, never experienced this Shaun. Can't imagine that it can be that bad, unless you are in a closed room and your face is close to the finish all the time. The "activator" in all 2-part epoxies and glues are pretty nasty though, so of course it is possible. Maybe I'm on a permanent "buzz" from all this so I don't notice any change.

When I apply finish though, I like to be in a ventilated room, and have a fan going most times to circulate air and there's always a draft. Not sure why you experienced this...it's not maybe the strain on your eyes or the concentration that got to you?

Q: I've read that exposure to epoxy leads to allergic sensitization, but haven't read what kind of sensitization occurs.

A: Contact dermatitis is by far the most common. Caused mostly by skin exposure to the hardener, but also to a lesser extent to the resin.

Q: Has any member on the list been sensitized to epoxy?

A: Many. You can actually become sensitized the *first* time you are exposed to uncured epoxy.

Q: Will cured epoxy dust cause sensitization?

A: Dust *always* contains small amounts of uncured hardener and resin...

Q: What are the symptoms of sensitization?

A: Covered by others. These reports are *not* exaggerated and *are* typical.

Q: How is it treated?

A: Permanent distance from uncured hardener and resin is the only certain cure. Understand, this means if you get sensitized, you *leave* the boatbuilding business--or suffer horribly, as related here.

Q: How long does treatment last?

A: Only so long as you stay away from epoxy. It's for life.

*Always* suit up. *Always* wear a quality mask (not a paper one...). *Always* wear gloves, and change them often. If you can, use resin systems designed for home builders, such as WEST or System III. These use the least toxic resins and hardeners available. Do some hard research into epoxy toxicity. WEST and System III spend a lot of time and energy educating their customers. Check them out.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Shaun, as you know, I have worked with epoxies for over 30 years. From time to time I came across persons who were or had developed a sensitivity to epoxy resin. Generally it was due to touching wet resin and the symptoms were a dermatological rash. Epoxy fumes are definitely unhealthy and should not be inhaled. Having said that, I never came across anyone who was affected as you were. My advice would be to use the varnishes to coat the threads and always work in a well ventilated room. Use latex gloves if u have to mix epoxy, such as when u do the grip and reelseat

Effects of Exposure Eyes:May cause mild irritation and redness.
    Inhalation:Irritation of the upper respiratory tract is not usually associated with the use of epoxy resins, unless heated.
    Skin:Prolonged and/or frequent contact can result in irritation of the skin. Epoxy resins are known to cause sensitisation of the skin.
    Swallowing:Epoxy resins are usually not of any concern with respect to toxicity. However, some formulated epoxy resins may become of concern with respect to toxicity due to the inclusion of other chemicals which are of greater toxicity.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks for the replies guys. You know, I could understand it if I was working in a closed room, but I was sitting next to open double doors, but yes, was sitting directly over the uncured epoxy whilst I was applying it. Another thing I found odd was that even though it was a cool day in Durbs yesterday, Each time I worked with epoxy on the rod, I had a sweat on my brow when I stood up.

Re the sensitivity to the epoxy another thing that's wierd is that I hardly ever use this stuff. I mean, I've only built 4 rods, it's not like I work with the stuff every day.

I remember experiencing similar symptoms when I was just out of school and decided to respray my old VW Beetle, but that was in a closed up garage with nothing but a one of those charcoal filter masks as protection.

I did suffer quite badly with asthma as a kid, so maybe I'm just particularly succeptible to this kind of thing, but was fine with the other 3 builds I've done.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 09-02-09 at 10:15 AM.

Must be a combination of factors...including a lack of sleep
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Dave Lewis of Performance Fly rods in the US developed a similar affliction and had to convert to using varnish and other non epoxy glues - his work is truly amazine...
    "Haauw, in the mouth"