Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Kosi Bay news

Quote Originally Posted by JNC View Post
    My girlfriends dad grew up there so we still go there some times. Back in the day they caught loads of fish, but now its always hard. As far as I know it was a white game ranger who introduced the gillnets as he thought it wouldnt have an impact. Today he knows he was wrong but apperently he says to stop the netting will take years. I heard of a guy who came apon a gillnet in the channel between lake two and three. As he tried to remove it he heard and then saw a local coking a AK47 next to him. Obviously he left the net as it was and f***ed offf... They use the nets in the channels when its quiet (no tourists), and in this way they kill the movement and some breeding cycles of fish (like grunter). Apparently indians buy the fish in big load, probably for restaurants or whatever, I dont know.
    These are all stories I have heard so I dont know how true they are, but one thing I do know is that the fishing in the lakes have all butt disappeard with regards to how it was.

I went to Banga neck in November last year. It was real cold and rainy so we couldnt realy fish, but we did manage a few Pompano and bonefish on bait. Banga neck at the right time should be fantastic, defenately going there again.

The guy you are refering to is still around and lives next to the lakes and still works for Emzikulevilvaoj;o&5kol Wildlife or whatever they are called. I'd rather not name him as I might be accused of slating the dude...

He is also an avid flyfisherman, believe it or not! His sons are also very accomplished fishermen and regulary appear on some of the dropshot and other fishing shows on TV.

I am sure he regrets the mistake(s) he has made in his position, but as they say in the classics it's history now and cannot be undone...
    Last edited by HolyGT; 11-02-09 at 03:08 PM.

he appears in one of the favoured flies of the guides books.....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Apologies if I may offend somebody. But if the man is from Africa he should have known better, in my eyes he's an @sshole.

oh s&%t

I have emailed the gentleman you reffered to above and I had no idea it was his idea for the gillnetting and lets see if I get a responce as i do not for one moment believe it was "his idea" but more likely a decision forced upon him in this day and age. From what I know he is passionate about the place but have never met him personally.

These poor guys are under resorced, have there hands tied and local communities just demand more and more which must very much put them between some serious boulders and very hard places.

That being said I witnessed the gill neting etc for myself in Dec and after reporting it and then seeing nothing happen for a week I decided to approach the one of the netters myself...... bad idea as I was threatened with some serious consequences to the point that I will not go back to the Banga Neck side with my family just in case......

Now..... Its all very good of us to sit and whinge and moan and blame but if I asked how many where prepared to help do something about it I suspect the responce whould be dismal..... I hope I am wrong......

As the main fisheries research scientist he should have been more progressive in his thinking to the consecuences of his support for legalising gill netting.

I remember this from carte blanche some years back, but its still only the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

http://www.mnet.co.za/Mnet/Shows/car...ry.asp?Id=1966

-

The park authority live in fear of their lives too...not making excuses for them, but once money and criminal syndicates get involved in the equation becomes hopeless. The demand for fresh fish in KZN way exceeds the supply (ask the ski boaters who subsidize their petrol) and this has led to a Mafia type operation in the area. Sleep over in Lake One and you see the traffic at night (Refrigerator trucks etc).
    What is happening there is quite complex and involves some pretty hectic personalities.
    There is quite a lot of talk about having the park's world heritage status removed etc...
    There is a total lack of political will to sort it out - recreational fishing / conservation is very much a rich mans issue.
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Might be an Idea, as I can’t think of anything else. We could bombard 50/50 with emails about this story. They seem to like this type of situation where locals are being used for criminal advantages and then having a very negative impact on the environment. They also do follow-up stories to see if anything has been done about the situation, and they try to name and shame people in power to do something about it.

Any other ideas?

It’s a real sad case, something needs to be done otherwise kosi will go to waste.

My to be father in law fished there since he was a child. In 2004 he had his first day in which he didn't catch a fish. Since then fishing has declined so rapidly that they mostly catch nothing, and this is a guy who knows the lake and good fishing spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    The park authority live in fear of their lives too...not making excuses for them, but once money and criminal syndicates get involved in the equation becomes hopeless. The demand for fresh fish in KZN way exceeds the supply (ask the ski boaters who subsidize their petrol) and this has led to a Mafia type operation in the area. Sleep over in Lake One and you see the traffic at night (Refrigerator trucks etc).
    What is happening there is quite complex and involves some pretty hectic personalities.
    There is quite a lot of talk about having the park's world heritage status removed etc...
    There is a total lack of political will to sort it out - recreational fishing / conservation is very much a rich mans issue.
    If you have all the facts or know someone who does, give Carte Blanche a call [+27 11 886 8899] - ask to speak to a researcher, and tell them the story. If there is enough to go on and you can point them in the right direction they should pick it up.

You will need some solid facts and contact numbers of people who can speak out.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Yeah Carte Blanche sounds like the right idea.

And again...

http://www.mnet.co.za/Mnet/Shows/car...ry.asp?Id=1966

Pull out the nets when you can(or feel brave enough) and voice your issues to Wildlife Officials whenever you can. They might not care, but you'll feel a lot better. Engage the rock strippers, you might not persuade them to stop plundering, but the answers you get will be great campfire topics. I have heard some beauts...

I always offer to tag any fish I see dragged up the beach and also try to show others the benefit of CAR tourism in Greater Wetland Park.

Africa is a great place, pity 'bout the Africans...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast