Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Big Elf....

Guys the better of two evils is never right.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Again I must quote an old saying. " Never, ever judge a person, untill you have walked a month in their moccasins. "

Yes, it is painfull to see big fish of any species killed. But unless you were there and witnessed first hand as to the circumstances surrounding the catch, rather keep your comments to the complimentary side.

The C & R ethic is VERY STRONG amongst most fishermen in SA.
    The only anamolies that spring to mind are the spearfishers, ski boot MANNE, and the kayak fishers.

If you really feel like a downer, just look at their mags and their websites. The R & S manne have not got a chance with the slaughter going on behind the back markers.
    HI HERMAN,

I must admit, catching fish on trebble hook Rapala's can do damage to fish. In the same breath, maybe replacing trebble hooks with single hooks will make C&R easier. Single hooks do not change the action of the lure in any way.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Jeez, you guys amaze me! Here's a guy showing off a damn good Elf, a well deserved to catch which he had every right to keep, and you guys are going off about ethics! I take it none of you eat fish, or is it different and somehow ok to buy it over the counter?

I say well done to the angler on a very fine catch indeed!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

At the moment I am fishing my heart out to try and put food on the table, and within limits taking what I need. I'll gladly release everything if one of you loudmouths will offer to stock my freezer with prime beef instead!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Jeez, you guys amaze me! Here's a guy showing off a damn good Elf, a well deserved to catch which he had every right to keep, and you guys are going off about ethics! I take it none of you eat fish, or is it different and somehow ok to buy it over the counter?

I say well done to the angler on a very fine catch indeed!
    Chris, I hear what you are saying. I'ts our job as sport and recreational fisherman not to leave a mark. Not to take our catches. If we are releasing the once in a LIFETIME catch, we are making a difference. I'm not slanting the oke that caught the Elf, as Heman rightly put it, we don't know the circumstance under which it has been caught.

For me personally I'd rather catch and release, no matter how BIG or how small. I think it's our duty. There is also not a guilt feeling afterwards. Just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Niel Myburgh View Post
    Chris, I hear what you are saying. I'ts our job as sport and recreational fisherman not to leave a mark. Not to take our catches. .
    and leave our families hungry while we have our moment of fun? I don't think so! There is a time for C&R and there is a time to take the odd fish home. My personal circumstances at the moment have pushed me into the latter category. Despite the unfortunate situation that I find myself in, I still firmy believe in limiting my catch and never taking my limit.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 12-02-09 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    and leave our families hungry while we have our moment of fun? I don't think so! There is a time for C&R and there is a time to take the odd fish home. My personal circumstances at the moment have pushed me into the latter category. Despite the unfortunate situation that I find myself in, I still firmy believe in limiting my catch and never taking my limit.
    Well that's another story. And although I may sound like a hypocrite, I don't have any problem with that. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you don't need it don't take it, if you do, well take what you need and put the rest back. If you wan't to take it for a mounting to brag about your catch, then it's wrong, and that's because we life in a time where there is to much pressure on this beautiful planet of ours. We don't life 200 years in the past where the seas was streaming with fish and the African veld roaming with wildlife.

I apologise if I have offended you. That is still a nice Shad!

Default !

While all some guys can think about is their next Sage, all I can think about at this stage of my life is where my next meal is coming! Very different set of circumstances we find our selves in. Don't ever judge, because you could easily find yourselves in the same predicament in the blink of an eye. These are indeed tough times we are going through and nothing is for certain!

However, having said all this, I can assure you guys, I am still a stickler for releasing all undersize fish (just last night I released a kob that was 2cm undersize) and I will also release any fish approaching double figures. I agree, they are much more valuable as breeding fish, but anything approaching grid size is coming home with me, no two ways about that.

I'm sorry again, but:

1. Korrie, I’m sure that removing a breeding fish like this is FAR worse than removing 1000 small ones.
    2. Chris if you were subsistence fishing you would (a) no longer be a recreational fisherman and (b) be pretty stupid to be fishing by the methods you do.
    3. Chris I eat fish, but definitely not endangered ones.
    4. Herman I fail to see how on another website you can classify an image like this as a "downer" but here we must be complimentary, It’s that kina turn the other cheek attitude that gets us nowhere.

I agree with you guys that far worse happens out of sight, but see my point (4) above, you have to start somewhere.

Furthermore I was complimentary, admitted I didn’t know the circumstances, it is a fantastic fish and the guy should be very, very happy. It’s just at some point someone has to say "listen buddy, perhaps it should have been put back." Don't blame the messenger, and until you've worn my moccasins don’t criticize me.

Quote Originally Posted by Niel Myburgh View Post
    Well that's another story. And although I may sound like a hypocrite, I don't have any problem with that. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you don't need it don't take it, if you do, well take what you need and put the rest back. If you wan't to take it for a mounting to brag about your catch, then it's wrong, and that's because we life in a time where there is to much pressure on this beautiful planet of ours. We don't life 200 years in the past where the seas was streaming with fish and the African veld roaming with wildlife.

I apologise if I have offended you. That is still a nice Shad!
    I agree with the above whole-heartedly....and no offense taken boet. I'm just stating my case. Tough times sometimes call for desperate measures, but one thing I will never do is stoop to turning my back on all the things I stand for. I will continue to set an outstanding example in whatever company I might find myself in on issues of conservation, releasing all undersize fish, putting the trophy fish back and staying well within permissible limits, not littering, etc, etc.

The world may strip me of everything, and that's ok, but one thing it will never take is my dignity and the things I stand for!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast