Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Big Elf....

Default Big Elf....

Hi Guys...check this monster elf caught in langebaan at the end of last year.caught on a trolled rapala....7kg
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

I love seeing elf that size!!!

Last year there was a report of a guy who caught an 11kg Elf off the Namibian coastline. They where fishing for Cob.

Its good to know that fish that size still exists in our waters!

Wonderful stuff! It is really good to know that fish like that still inhabit our waters. This is the thrilling thing about R&S fishing, you never quite know what to expect.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

What is depressing is that there used to be lots of big elf in the old days before they got fished out

Yes it is a fantastic size fish, and yes its nice to know there are fish like this about. But there is now one less.

I'm sorry if I sound like a toff, but as far as im concerned anyone who takes a breeding size fish that used to be severly endangered out of our waters needs to be made aware that he is doing something very wrong.

Oh, yeah, and its not like I haven't done the same and I have family photos of this kina thing. On top of which there may have been some other issue that caused its death, its just time we all became in touch with what we need to do to make this a better world and catch more fish.

Thomas McGuane put it very nicely.

"We have reached a time in the life of the planet, and humanity's demands upon it, when every fisherman will have to become a riverkeeper, a steward of marine shallows, a watchman on the high seas. We are beyond having to put back what we have taken out. We must put back more than we take out."

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart K View Post
    What is depressing is that there used to be lots of big elf in the old days before they got fished out
    Well!! Killing 7-11 kg elf are your breeding fish, what does one expect.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Again I must quote an old saying. " Never, ever judge a person, untill you have walked a month in their moccasins. "

Yes, it is painfull to see big fish of any species killed. But unless you were there and witnessed first hand as to the circumstances surrounding the catch, rather keep your comments to the complimentary side.

The C & R ethic is VERY STRONG amongst most fishermen in SA.
    The only anamolies that spring to mind are the spearfishers, ski boot MANNE, and the kayak fishers.

If you really feel like a downer, just look at their mags and their websites. The R & S manne have not got a chance with the slaughter going on behind the back markers.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Again I must quote an old saying. " Never, ever judge a person, untill you have walked a month in their moccasins. "

Yes, it is painfull to see big fish of any species killed. But unless you were there and witnessed first hand as to the circumstances surrounding the catch, rather keep your comments to the complimentary side.

The C & R ethic is VERY STRONG amongst most fishermen in SA.
    The only anamolies that spring to mind are the spearfishers, ski boot MANNE, and the kayak fishers.

If you really feel like a downer, just look at their mags and their websites. The R & S manne have not got a chance with the slaughter going on behind the back markers.
    Well said Herman!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

we should worry more about the guys netting a schoal of 250 yellowtail off fish hoek again...instead of moaning that a recreational angler kept his catch of a LIFETIME.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

The odd Big Elf being taken is not so serious.
    Rather go and look what happens upstream from Laaiplek in the Berg river, with the small elf.
    I have witnessed up to a 1000 fish being taken by the farm labours with nets.

How many more have been taken that nobody have seen?
    Try and explain to those labours that what they are doing is wrong.
    They tell you that they have been doing it for years and years. And there are still plenty of Elf around.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast