Thread: Fishing in Oz

Wink Fishing in Oz

I've just taken delivery of a new Cortland 4 piece Saltwater weight 9 - 9 foot CX 490 fly rod which I am taking with me to NSW in 4 weeks time. This coupled with my Pflueger Trion 8/9 reel and a few 9 and 10 weight mill ends from Mullarky's should see me right for a bit of fun along the NSW and Queensland coast.

The rod was on a 1/2 price special at £55.00 (R1300.00). I am very pleased with it for the price.

Any of you ever fished the Queensland coast or for Aussie bass.

Good stuff, I have fished there and for those species but I'm out of date - there are a couple of excellent guys on this forum who live in the area you are going to, but I'll let them establish contact
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

I'll be staying mainly in Cronulla which is just south of Sydney - Ewos Parade. My son has just bought a house there.

Would certainly like to meet some like minded people.

For your info my son - Sean was born in Pretoria and went to Potch Boys High.

Cronulla generally has an average to crap Rugby League team.

But coming from Yorkshire, I guess it'd be home from home?

LOL

I don't understand Rugby League so it doesn't really matter. The only rugby game that is played around here is Union. The Rotherham Titans are composed mainly of Saffas.

I rest my case, M'Lud....
    Yup, I know of the RU/RL/football splits especially within Yorkshire and the Unmentionable County To The West Of You. Union and Association Football are my preferred codes.

Trouble is when you hit your Sydney wedding, small talk will also revolve around Sydney Swans or whatever South Hawthorn is now called before the New South Welshmen stole them from Victoria a'fore filthy lucre and white football boots became fashionable.

When in Oz I actually played all four Codes of the footie game. Probably explains a lot...I enjoyed them all. As a player I found Aussie Rules terribly under-rated, maybe as there's 36 thugs running round a cricket oval and even the TV scum can't keep up with all the individual biffo going on

++

No, please don't even mention Rotherham United, never mind the Titans!!

And as for Potch/Pretoria Boys High - both superb schools, lot of Old Boys on this Forum so I will be very complimentary - but I mean it!

X
    Last edited by chris williams; 12-02-09 at 07:08 PM.

Hey Ron

The guy to speak to Jono Shales her on the forum or you can contact him at jono@swoffa.com

he is a machine and will get you onto some decent fish. He is based in Sydney but is leaving the end of April on his Auzzie adventure.

If you cant get hold of him let me know, i will send your details to him.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

He is the person I had in mind!

Thanks Deewy, I will certainly send Jonno an email introducing myself. I will be spending time at two places in Oz in addition to a trip up the Queensland coast. In addition to Cronulla, it will be Oyster Bay on the Georges river.

My son's future inlaws have a nice house with their own boat dock plus a yacht and various other craft I am told.

I would like to catch an Aussie bass whilst I am there - on the fly if possible,