Thread: 3 wt Blank

Default 3 wt Blank

I am looking for some ideas on a 3wt blank. Looking for a longer 3 wt (I have a 7' GLX which is great for tight work, but not great in terms of line mending / rivercraft due to short length)
    The blank should preferably longer than 8ft.
    It will be put to use on small streams (Lesotho, Rhodes) Any ideas / experiences to share?
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

10" plus is the only way to go.

Fishing longer rods, ie casting mending and landing fish, takes a bit of getting use too, but once you are use too it, the advantages are huge.
    Gatti has some long blanks. Stealth is bringing out a 10" #3.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I am looking for some ideas on a 3wt blank. Looking for a longer 3 wt (I have a 7' GLX which is great for tight work, but not great in terms of line mending / rivercraft due to short length)
    The blank should preferably longer than 8ft.
    It will be put to use on small streams (Lesotho, Rhodes) Any ideas / experiences to share?
    How much mending are you intending to do on a small stream? I would rather look at your techniqe, and extablish why you feel there is a need to mend to the extent where you feel a new rod is neccessarry. Perhaps you are casting too far, perhaps you are standing in the wrong place when making the casts.
    Remember that mending is a technique that is used to correct an inconsistent drift ( among afew other things). mending creates movement on the surface, which spooks fish, so it is better to be into a position where you don't need to mend. if you can get this right, you will not need to do much mending, and the little that you will do, will be adequately done by a 7 foot rod.

With a longer rod you can keep more line of the water, so you don't have to mend so much. But it depends on how far you are fishing in front of you as well. If the water is long runs etc and you are casting a long way in front of you, the extra meter or 2 that you will be able to lift from the water won't really help. As ANdre said short stick will do the trick.
    Fishing longer rods helps you to reach certain areas and are beneficial up to 12 meters. Making long casts with long rods are not always the easiest.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

OK, I often fish from the bank to avoid disturbing water. A longer rod allows a lot of advantages in terms of clearing long grass / bushes etc as well as mending. I also feel that it offers advantages whilst the line is still in the air. Not by any means suggesting replacing the 7" rod, rather just adding another option to the arsenal...
    "Haauw, in the mouth"