Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mozambique

Default Mozambique

We are planning a trip to Moz in the July holidays, and after seeing the 50/50 programm on the carnage wrought by South Africans at Ponta de Ora, I would be too embarrassed to set foot in that country.
    Jet ski's circling a calving whale, quad bikes on sensitive dunes, piles of litter...etc. etc..... and this all done by affluent South African tourists. Dont these idiots realise that they are guests in a foreign country? The behaviour of our fellow citizens is shamefull to say the least. It's disgusting. I cartainly won't be going there, if that is the type of human animal that frequents what once used to be a paradise.

Hear, hear!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

I just caught the tail end of the program, but there seems to be no end to the destruction and cr&p that people can get up to. What are we teaching our kids? Or will this persistant cr&p attitude of, "well, everyone else does it!", finally sink us
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

I was just as shocked when I watched it. I can't believe these apes are abusing Moz and it's complete lack of infrastructure!
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

What is there more to say, gone are the days when 'Heartbreak Hill" was corridored off with tape to stop people driving into areas that haven't been swept for mines. We should never have lifted all of the mines.

Africa is a great place, pity 'bout the Africans...

We are goining there, a whole group of friends with kids at Malongane for April. They limit the use of quads in the camp - which then begs the question what kind of destruction do these @ssholes wraught on the sensitive environment - dunes, beach etc..!??? For the love of it I cannot understand the quad persons mentality rippping up everything and creating the most awful noise in the name of fun. Very selfish. Make Manto minst of Transport and ban them like sigarettes!!!

But by not going we are doing the Mozambique people and injustice. Andre, I notice that the Richtersveld is also getting some severly crap treatment form the Rich. Bad toilet habits at campsites, driving off the path, rubbish etc etc!

I assure you all that this is the nature of people all around the world! You must see how disgusting the dunes and beaches here in the UAE are. Literally piles of rubbish left after every camping trip, and 4 x 4s are allowed anywhere. The beaches even in the remote areas of Southern Oman, which are 10 hours drive away, are literally littered with mess. People have this attitude here of "someone else will clean up after us." We are screwing up everything of any beauty on Earth!!!!

Sterkfontein is another case, litter is starting to pile up. I'm taking a rubbish bag with at the end of the month.

Unfortunately we see this kind of behaviour more and more. These people dont care as they will be going home the next day and it wont be their problem. Anyone seen the footage on Kyknet (Kamp dit uit)about the idiots with the landy and cruiser towing the caravan up Baboons Pass?

Alot of the 4x4 forums/groups also always go on about these idiots destroying everything in their paths, drinking while doing tracks, etc, but I have been on a few outing where they did exactly the same thing. I guess what counts for one doesn't acount for them. The excuse is often that we will just quickly do this or that and it wont cause to much damage. One of the reasons that I dont do these group trips anymore. I know im just genrellising but have seen it so many time.

Of course the macho element plays a big role. "I have a big 4x4/quad/yetski and can go anywhere, and screw anyone who says otherwise"
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Default Same people same behaviour

The same thing is happening in South Africa - I am sure many people have stories to tell of how these quad guys just go around stuffing everything up... For example - a couple of years ago we went over the pont at Kei mouth into the old Transkei. On the Transkei side there were a couple of quad idiots doing all kinds of slides and 360's on the vegetation just above the high water mark. This vegetation is not only highly sensitive but also very unique - but still these guys just do not care. Well - maybe a bit harsh as we had a word with them - and after explaining to them that they are causing enourmous damage to an sensitive system they did stop - and even apologised. Seems that a lot of this behaviour is as a result of people who do not know. The feeling seems to be that regulations are there to stop people from having fun. Many people in the fishing community also view things such as bag limits etc as a pain - and will undermine the law as long as no-one is looking. There seems to be a general view that laws are only laws as long as someone with authority is watching... Lots and lots of awareness creation is needed... Big up on 50/50 for showing a broad audience what is happening.
    Never mistake knowledge for wisdom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast