Thread: Repairing cratches on a blank

Default Repairing cratches on a blank

Hi guys,

Please bear in mind I'm not a rod builder, so be kind in your answers if I'm asking something which is well known or obvious.

I have a rod that has a high gloss finish, it sort of seems like there is a layer of varnish or whatever OVER the blank.

Now this very larney rod unfortunately got scuffed a little bit during some heavy duty use, it's hardly noticeable to most but I am a fussy b!tch where these things are concerned and that is why I prefer less larney looking sticks in general, I don't have to feel sorry about screwing them up.

The scratches are all superficial and not deep, how could I buff these out? I'm pretty sure a vanilla sheeps wool wheel at high RPM and low pressure should to it nicely (not that I have such a buffer, but the idea counts I suppose)

I just know if I try the brasso and water paper approach like one could on car duco in days gone by, that it will screw the rod up even more.

Any ideas or tips ?
    Last edited by Scythe; 20-02-09 at 09:13 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

If the scratches are fine enough, furniture polish works well...

I use those presoaked wipes that come in a pack of a bout 15 impregnated wet wipe style cloths.

Simply apply and buff with a microfiber cloth.

Hope it helps keep your kit in top nick!
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

From my limited knowledge, I don't think you're going to win. Whatever that finish is that they coat the blanks with, it's normally as hard as hell and quite resistant to scratches, but once it's scratched, there's no getting rid of them. If you try to buff it, you're going to have to use something abrasive, no matter how fine it is, and I can't help feeling you're either going to cause a burn mark, or take off the finish, turning a scratch into a patch.

If you're going to try something, I'd go with something like Meguiars Scratch X, which is a product normally used to remove fine scratches from vehicle paintworks. I've used that stuff on cars successfully, but don't know about rod finish.

I'd leave it though. Tackle is tackle, no matter the price. It's supposed to be fished with and won't stay perfect forever. Put it down to "houding".

You can use a product like Gudebrod's "Fishing rod restorer" which hides nicks and scratches on your rod blank.
    Dries in less than an hour, and is easily brushed on with a brush applicator included.

About $ 4.00, from Cabela's, Mudhole, Janns Nettcraft, etc.

Thumbs up Perma Gloss

Hi, try to get hold of this product by Trondak, U40 Perma Gloss

http://www.u-40.com/permagloss.html

The ultimate one-part urethane rod finish. For those requiring a water clear, non-yellowing finish that will outlast the rod itself in durability.

The perfect finish for fly rods, ligh and medium spin rods, pack rods, and all cases where a large bulky buildup on the rod windings is objectionable.

The perfect finish for any rod subject to constant sun and weather. An excellent coating for wood reel seats.

I've been using it for years on both cane and plastic (read as anything not cane ) rods, simply nothing out there better and I've tried just about every thing even this

http://www.rubin.com.au/index.php/nyalic

"With its unique formula, unlike any other surface coating in the world, Nyalic® possesses special
    characteristics which make it an ideal solution to the difficult protection problems of corrosion,
    ultraviolet radiation, and harsh environments. In fact, nothing on earth seems difficult by
    comparison to the problems Nyalic® solved for America's mission to the moon. "

big claims, (very good stuff too) but the permagloss cant be beat IMHO

Martin
    Caveat Lector - Listen to advice but think for yourself

There are 10 types of people in this world

those that understand binary and those that don't

Quote Originally Posted by lekker trutta View Post
    Hi, try to get hold of this product by Trondak, U40 Perma Gloss

I've been using it for years on both cane and plastic (read as anything not cane ) rods, simply nothing out there better and I've tried just about every thing even this
    Number of applications and drying time in between??
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Scuff down surface using 1000 grit wet and dry sand paper (used wet)
    (trick - sand the fresh paper against itself for a bit to remove a bit of the 'tooth' )
    then just (using a turkey baster) pour 1 coat on, I suggest investing in a disposable alfoil roasting tray to catch and reuse the overflow, dont worry about any that gets on the guides, just start at the handle holding the rod semi vertical from the winding check start the pour and follow the wave with the baster all the way down the section, hang in a dust free environment for around 8hrs@20-30c, rig up then fish :-)

Caveat { instructions above assume repairing a plastic, production rod, somewhat different for new custom plastic or cane }

Hope this helps

Martin
    Last edited by lekker trutta; 01-04-09 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Caveat
    Caveat Lector - Listen to advice but think for yourself

There are 10 types of people in this world

those that understand binary and those that don't

If the scuff marks are not that noticeable then maybe you should just try and polish it up with refurbishing creme like that used in refurbishing car paint. Its not as aggressive as some of the other options and even if it does not remove the scratches completely, it will blend into the background. I think its called p100 or something like that.
    wat weet 'n mol van kaas

There we where, 10 against a thousand and boy did we get F@ked up, all 1000 of us

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Isnt it ironic, we want to save the planet, should we not be saving ourselves. Btw did someone tell you your fuze is lit.

Can anyone tell me how to get a vetkol out of my Buff?

Be a man! Girls dig scars.

Brasso - I have removed scratches from the glass of my watch using Brasso - much harder than a rod finish
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS