Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gatti (frlw)

Here's the clincher for me. From their Warranty section :

Gatti Fly Rods carry a lifetime warranty against all manufacturer's defects for the original owner. They are unconditionally guaranteed against breakage one time only.( One section Only ).

Not that I'm in the habit of breaking rods, but for pretty much the same price, I'll take a Sage TXL rather. Better warranty.

sounds like a cr@p warranty to me ... back to TFO for me
    the patient mental...

Gogga Banned User

To be honest guy's I had a look at a Gatti a little while ago, Not a bad rod and a nice action - I was looking at a 7 weight (believe it or not) and felt that it would work real well as a bone fish rod.

Anyhow to cut a long story short - I ended up with a Winston Boron IIx - 9 ft. The main reason was that the price wasn't that different - and the warranty on the Winston was far better.

http://www.winstonrods.com/boronIIx.html

Anyhow that's my 2c worth - for what its worth.

Regards
    Mike
    Last edited by Gogga; 13-02-07 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Where is Mario ? Would be great if we could find out who the local supplier is. I'm quite keen to build another rod, this time a little stream rod, and perhaps a Gatti would be a good choice. Interested in a 3wt probably.
    Trying to balance cricket, fishing, fatherhood, work, managing smallstreams.co.za and posting here

Derk Smith has all the answers!! One thing though - that Gatti's are the BOMB!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario, take faith in 'If you want anything to get done, give it to a busy guy'!

Good luck, hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Here's the clincher for me. From their Warranty section :

Gatti Fly Rods carry a lifetime warranty against all manufacturer's defects for the original owner. They are unconditionally guaranteed against breakage one time only.( One section Only ).

Not that I'm in the habit of breaking rods, but for pretty much the same price, I'll take a Sage TXL rather. Better warranty.
    Shaun

Gonna disagree with you there. Some of the Explorer range rods carry a better warranty than the Gatti, but that does not mean I'll give the Gatti up. Statistically you will go far/be very unlucky/be very hard on your tackle/just be careless to break the same section of a rod twice.

The only reason I bought the Sages are that they are the only company making anything below #1.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Shaun

Gonna disagree with you there. Some of the Explorer range rods carry a better warranty than the Gatti, but that does not mean I'll give the Gatti up. Statistically you will go far/be very unlucky/be very hard on your tackle/just be careless to break the same section of a rod twice.
    I kinda agree with you Mario. When you buy a rod you buy the rod itself and you buy the warranty. You don't see this because you just pay the price on the sticker. For example if you pay $500 for Rod A you are actually paying $400 for the rod (say) and $100 for the warranty. Rod B has a lesser warranty but also costs $500. The warranty on Rod B is only worth $50 say, so you are therefore actually paying $450 for Rod B. But Rod B may be a fantastic rod that is actually worth $600 in your estimation. It is therefore a better buy than Rod A even though its guarantee is inferior.

It seems that many people are more interested in the quality of the warranty than the quality of the rod. I think that warranties have distorted rod values. And just because a rod has a warranty doesn't mean that it is a good rod, it just means that the manufacturer was able to incorporate the insurance premium into the price of the rod.

Good comment!

Good points raised. Will definitely reconsider.

Shaun

You will not be dissapointed - I promise! I just need to get my kid to 1-year old, and then I can spend bucks on fishing again
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast