Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Modern vs old school

I regularly fish a Hardy "Featherweight" ... out of preference to other mother modern reels. I have NEVER had a problem with drag etc - and I know the old lady will not let me down - even when dropped on rocks, in grit etc!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Those who know me well will agree that I am a bit of a kamakazi on the streams, and for this reason I need something tough enough to take the knocks. As much as I also enjoy state of the art, and super lightweight reels, I just know that at some stage they are going to break when I can least afford it. I am also a sentimental traditionalist by nature, and my preference for modern day tough reels still leans on the traditional look with sweet sounding click pawl ratchets. For this reason, I went the traditional looking Abel TR1 route two years ago. On my first outing I took a hell of a tumble way up the Elandspad and came down hard with my full body weight on the reel. Apart from a eye catching ding on the exposed rim of the spool, the reel is still operating perfectly, no wobbly buckled spool. It is basically bullet proof....unlike some of the super lightweight large arbour top name brand reels on the market these days. I guarantee you, a Sage large arbour whatever you call it would have been in pieces in my hands already!

And this is where the Hardy Perfects have stood the test of time, you can't get a tougher reel, especially the earlier heavier models. They are almost indestructable. So, therein lies my choice. If they can make a reel pretty and tough, i'm all for it, but don't just give me pretty.....that doesn't do it for me.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 26-02-09 at 10:52 AM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Shaun

I sometimes fish with this setup. cane, silk and Vom Hofe.

Mmmmmm!

For my purposes it would be the Loop for sure ... but I'll just stick with what I have for now

New Mako 9700 towering over it's little brother

Quote Originally Posted by Jono Shales View Post
    For my purposes it would be the Loop for sure ... but I'll just stick with what I have for now

New Mako 9700 towering over it's little brother

Easily one of the hottest looking reels I've ever seen.

Some questions in my mind?

How much time do you bling junkies spend fishing as apposed to admiring your tackle? What are you bling lovers priorities in that regard I often wonder, i.e. Is fishing just an excuse for the accumulation of bling? In a world without bling, would you still be fly fishing?
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 26-02-09 at 03:45 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post

How much time do you bling junkies spend fishing as apposed to admiring your tackle? What are you bling lovers priorities in that regard I often wonder, i.e. Is fishing just an excuse for the accumulation of bling? In a world without bling, would you still be fly fishing?
    I bask in the afterglow of a good days fishing by cleaning my tackle...
    That way I can admire my "bling" whilst reflecting on its form and function.
    Personally I view the bling as an excuse for fishing... "Ahh this reel/rod/etc.. is soo nice I need to use it NOW" Although I was a fly junkie long before I had any "bling" to speak of. So yup, I would be fishing, probably just as often too, but I may not have spent as many an evening basking in the afterglow whilst tending to my kit and keeping it worthy of a magpie...

Then again, if Im perfectly honest, my most valued "bling" is not bling at all... its a beautiful 8'2" #6 Splitty that is as old as I am!
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    I bask in the afterglow of a good days fishing by cleaning my tackle...
    That way I can admire my "bling" whilst reflecting on its form and function.
    Personally I view the bling as an excuse for fishing... "Ahh this reel/rod/etc.. is soo nice I need to use it NOW" Although I was a fly junkie long before I had any "bling" to speak of. So yup, I would be fishing, probably just as often too, but I may not have spent as many an evening basking in the afterglow whilst tending to my kit and keeping it worthy of a magpie...

Then again, if Im perfectly honest, my most valued "bling" is not bling at all... its a beautiful 8'2" #6 Splitty that is as old as I am!
    hehe Brilliant reply! I think that about sums it up for most of us hey

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post

Chris you've lost me with your reference to "bling". "Bling" to me implies excessive embelishment of some or other object.

Not one of the reels posted in this thread are "bling" in my book. None are excessively gaudy in a "Look at me" kind of way. Some are beautiful in a minimalistic kind of way. As someone who has always appreciated the many forms of art, I marvel at their design, the way form and function are combined. To me design = art and I can appreciate the effort that designers put into creating the particular object regardless of whether it is a car, building, piece of furniture, musical instrument etc. Is there something wrong with that? Must everything always be about function, and if so, why are we not still driving around in the Model T ?

To me admiring the form and design of certain tackle and actually using it are often interlinked. Do you not marvel at how with certain reels, the designers have removed almost every bit of unnecessary metal in a bid to reduce weight but maintain structural rigidity?

Finally, admiration of an object does not necessarily mean I wish to own or accumulate it. I simply appreciate it for what it is.

My tackle buying days are also almost over. I have all the tackle I will ever need and honestly don't intend on purchasing any more unless it is to replace that which is lost or broken or damaged.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 26-02-09 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Chris you've lost me with your reference to "bling". "Bling" to me implies excessive embelishment of some or other object.

Not one of the reels posted in this thread are "bling" in my book. None are excessively gaudy in a "Look at me" kind of way. Some are beautiful in a minimalistic kind of way. As someone who has always appreciated the many forms of art, I marvel at their design, the way form and function are combined. To me design = art and I can appreciate the effort that designers put into creating the particular object regardless of whether it is a car, building, piece of furniture, musical instrument etc. Is there something wrong with that? Must everything always be about function, and if so, why are we not still driving around in the Model T ?

To me admiring the form and design of certain tackle and actually using it are often interlinked. Do you not marvel at how with certain reels, the designers have removed almost every bit of unnecessary metal in a bid to reduce weight but maintain structural rigidity?

Finally, admiration of an object does not necessarily mean I wish to own or accumulate it. I simply appreciate it for what it is.

My tackle buying days are also almost over. I have all the tackle I will ever need and honestly don't intend on purchasing any more unless it is to replace that which is lost or broken or damaged.
    Just think, had I not posed the question, this excellent reply would never have been posted.

I'm with you bru.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast