Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does anyone know this species -Oncorhynchus mykiss

Check on 'Homo Sapiens' as well - they're generally pretty cool but they can also make themselves unpopular on occasion at certain waters!

All these Latin names...rainbow trout have enjoyed at least three different ones to date - no wonder we're all confused!

I'm not a rocket-pocket scientist, but at least Latin names mean we know specifically what we're talking about - once we've translated or worked out their identity - be it flora, fauna or whatever else. So much more specific than 'silvery fish with pink on it', but, there again, the Latin name is not nearly as romantic-sounding as 'rainbow trout'!

But try serving 'Mykiss Pate' in a trendy cafe, you may get some very strange looks!
    Last edited by chris williams; 28-02-09 at 09:21 PM.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Back in the 80's, Freestate Nature Conservation authorities used to stock Sterkfontein with about a quarter million O mykiss (Rainbow trout) fry every year. SA Bassmasters used to organise an anual Sterkfontein Trout Challenge ~ an anything-goes sort of contest. You would see competitors fishing with plugs, crank-baits, spinner-baits, flies, paddas and worms... you name it.

Interestingly the leader board was usually dominated by fly anglers.... wonder why?

It used to be held in the dead of winter when bassfishing is lousy and the bass-buster boys were getting twitchy. There's even a story about it in B1tch-creek nymphing....
    Last edited by Surly Ghillie; 28-02-09 at 09:17 PM.

That's right Surly Ghillie!

Bloody cold in the middle of winter - even won a prize for falling in the water.
    Some of the old timers used to fish the dam and we always did well on fly as you pointed out. Names such as Ken Short and Fred Schneider readily spring to mind.

I'll have a scratch around and see if I can pull up a few of the old pictures from years gone by.

I recall catching trout in Sterkies in the late 80's on conventional tackle. There used to be some boat that trolled, I presume for trout.
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

There is still the odd one around in Sterkies. I've seen a few being caught at Qwantani over the year, always on bait. The most recent was April 2008, and the guy caught it on millie pitte. The bass seem to be taking Sterkies over though. I've seen a huge influx of them year on year.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    There is still the odd one around in Sterkies. I've seen a few being caught at Qwantani over the year, always on bait. The most recent was April 2008, and the guy caught it on millie pitte. The bass seem to be taking Sterkies over though. I've seen a huge influx of them year on year.
    We're working on the bass problem... It'll take time though.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.