Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hentiesbaai potential on fly

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Respect- agree with the fly fishing whilst the surf rod is in the sand spike! One will only know if one tries I guess!

What weight rod do you guys reckon would be necessary? 12 weight minimum? Steenies are, in my opinion, one of the hardest fighting fish on our shores...
    My heaviest is a 9, so guess it will have to do, but in all honesty, I wont mind having it broken in a thousand pieces by one of those brutes! As you would say Kev......no respect!!!

Eish, my heaviest is a 9 as well! I dont think that the House of Hardy would be too impressed...

This is a pic of Gary fighting the monster that took him 300 metres up the beach before parting with a greeting!

Notice the typical colour of the water. Also notice where the last wave is breaking...the one closest to Gary that is. The target zone!!
    Attachment 22

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Also notice where the last wave is breaking...the one closest to Gary that is. The target zone!!
    That's most definitely close enough...

Chris
    Thanks for the positive comment.

I would gladly let you have use of my 12wt to use in pursuit of the ultimate steenie if I were allowed to accompany it. You know, to make sure it works properly.

Here's another thought. You can't exactly call it fly fishing in the true sense, but more a compromise between rock&surf and fly fishing. One could bait up a hook as I described earlier on, small white muscle on a #1 hook, wrapped with ghost cotton back and forth until no more muscle is visible and representative of a little worm. It worked with my big outfit, so why not try it with a fly rod? At least one of the challenging aspects could be met, and that is trying to land the fish with a fly rod.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh View Post
    Chris
    Thanks for the positive comment.

I would gladly let you have use of my 12wt to use in pursuit of the ultimate steenie if I were allowed to accompany it. You know, to make sure it works properly.
    I would be glad to have you along Mike. Judging by your previous postings, you seem to be making great progress with your flyrod in the surf and I think you could play a valuable role in helping us crack the steenie code!

why not use your normal rock and surf tackle and tie on a fly.that way you would atleast cover the aspect of wether they would be interested.

i caught a 7,2kg steenbras earlier this year at langebaan.on light tackle fishing for stump.5kg line on a shimano combo rod which saw the fish run almost all the line off the little reel.it took me 45min to land.

they are incredible strong.i think there you could get away with a 9 weight but in the surf where there is need to aply more pressure and i think a 12weight would be needed.

i think it would be a great sight to see a fly fisherman land a steenbras up there amongst the "vaalies".as the mastercard adverts says "priceless".........

[QUOTE=swsmith;979]why not use your normal rock and surf tackle and tie on a fly.that way you would atleast cover the aspect of wether they would be interested.
    QUOTE]

Too boring for me sw. I like the idea of targeting a free drifting fly at the end of a fly line to the edges of drop offs with the fly rod. But you do have a point.

just make your leader from your swivel about 2m.im sure your fly will be free to drift in the current.....ha ha ha

why beat around the bush.lets just get 10 guys together and go up there next year and try it out.leave the rock and surf tackle at home.

i reckon 2 days and 1034 casts(each) later everyone would have lost the plot.

lets master the art of catching grunter first then we can attempt those big boys.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast