Thread: In South Island, but the rivers are high - NOW WHAT?

Default In South Island, but the rivers are high - NOW WHAT?

Hi all, I am in South Island - was going to fish the Wairau, but it is running rather high.

Tried to get to the Goulter - my rental car is just that, a CAR - not a good idea (and it was a long drive almost there and back to find out that this was so).

Now what?

I am staying in St Arnaud tonight (Monday) - and am thinking the Upper Buller/Howard, or possibly the Upper Motueka tomorrow (Tuesday)

Then:

Off the fish Larry's Creek Wednesday (maybe the Blue-Grey if this is too high?)
    Then down to fish La Fontaine's Thursday
    Then across to Christchurch Friday, fish the Waimak or Hurunui?

UNASHAMED PLEA - ANYONE LIVE NEAR THESE WATERS AND CAN HELP OUT WITH ACCOMODATION?

Comments?

+27 82 902 0212
    Last edited by GGY; 02-03-09 at 11:20 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Comments?

Yes we don't like you

Sounds like you have got it covered,please post some pics.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Howzit Gary

My sister stays somewhere close to Christchurch. I'll find out if it is within range of your chosen rivers and whether they are happy to put up a friend and get back to you.

Which nights?

Cheers
    MC

Gary,
    West coast is a good call - rivers drop faster in the rain.
    Another great Stream to try if the La F is swollen is the Waitangitoana - Just up from the Heron Breeding colony...locals should be able to point you in the right direction...no problem in car.
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Hi Gary
    Check the rivers in Mac Kenzie country. It is one of the drier areas in south island.
    There is some good still waters, in Mackenzie country, if my memory serves me right.
    Most accesable via car.
    Check the Matuari river, have some big fish, sections can be fished from the bank, even when water is high. And the river stays fairly clean with rain.
    The river near Wanaka is a tail water. It might be good, as there is a hydro station at the dam, upstream, which means the level is fairly consistent.
    Will check my notes and see if there is more info
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi Gary,

I don't know SI waters very well so can't help much. But Buller will probably be clear. Also have a look at the Buller tribs near Murchison - Mangles and Matakitaki.

La Fontaine is a good option on the coast if waters are high. A few other decent spring creeks about too. Arnold near Greymouth is another good option in the wet as it is a tailwater.

Good luck!
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Comments?
    Initial ones that come to mind are... "I hate you..." and "Surely you needed a C&S expert to tag along???????"
    Will have to speak to the bosses.

Came right in the end - thanks for the tips though...

I wanted to fish La Fontaines, but did not get round to it.

In the end, I landed fish in 10 rivers (5 North Island, 5 South Island) up to 8 1/2lb, with most in the 4-5.5lb range.
    Will post some pics soon.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins