Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic Clouser Minnow

Default Synthetic Clouser Minnow

Synthetic Clouser Minnow

A few guys have been talking about the clousers that I used for tiger fish so I thought I would do a SBS on how I tie them.
    On my tiger fish trip the conditions dictated that the fish were sitting deep and so the clousers that I used were quite heavily weighted in order to get the flies deep in strong currents and keep them there as long as possible. I have used Lead dumbell eyes and 20 gauge copper wire. The wire I prefer is the permanent colour wire rather than the painted wire which will not last as long in a tiger’s mouth. Here is an example of the wire that I use, which I found in a bead shop and they usually stock a bunch of different colours:

The colours I use here are just for illustration – experiment with colour combinations and take a variety with you to try.
    I have tied this pattern with 3 colours in the wing but most times i only use 2. SF Flash Blend is nice for these, but I like the effect of Deadly Dazzle even more, and they can be used nicely together too.
    The fire tiger is another that looks really nice, incorporating Chartreuse, Orange and Yellow in the wing.

Materials
    Hook - #4/0 Gamakatsu S12S
    Thread – Black 6/0
    Eye – Large Painted Lead dumbell – Pearl
    Body – 20 Guage permanent coloured wire - Red
    Under Wing – SF Flash Blend – Shaded Chartreuse
    Mid Wing – SF Flash Blend – Wild Olive
    Top Wing – SF Flash Blend – Mullet Brown
    Markings – Brown ProMarker or similar permanent marker

Step 1
    Place hook in vice and tie thread on. Make two small bumps in thread. These will be used to keep the dumbell eye in place when you tie it on.

Step 2
    Tie in the dumbell between the two bumps of thread. Secure the dumbell with more thread wraps. I also add a bit of superglue at this point to prevent the eyes from twisting after a few fish.

Step 3
    Tie in the copper wire along the body

Step 4
    Get some SF Flash blend about half as thick as you would like the body to be

Step 5
    Wrap the SF Flash Bend around the back of the thread and then catch it behind the eye of the dumbell. The thread is now caught between the doubled up strands of SF Flash blend.

"So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Step 6
    Pull the strands of SF Flesh blend off the eye using the thread and wrap it down on top of the shank

Step 7
    Do the same thing with the next colour of SF Flash blend. The picture below shows the thread between the SF Flash Blend

And this is it tied in:

Step 8
    Repeat the steps for the Overwing

Step 9
    Form a nice head, tie off and cut the thread, then varnish and allow to dry.

Step 10
    Trim the wing to the desired length. I like my tiger clousers to be quite short.

"So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Step 11
    Use a permanent marker to make some bands down each side of the SF Flash Blend

Step 12
    Run the fly under hot tap water for about a minute. The hot water will bend the synthetic material permanently into a nicely tapered body.

That’s It! Now go fish!

Just thought I would post this here too for some of the local guys on this forum to check out.... Sorry for the double posting.

Hi Grant

Shot for posting...nice pattern. I reckon it will work on bass too. Will give them a bash in different colour combo's as well.

Cheers
    Mike

Grant, my hat is off... excellent pattern
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

very nice fly Grant. That will work around here too, I'm sure.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Good looking fly, excellent quality SBS.

Yet another worthy addition to the SBS index, well done.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

SBS INdex??? Hmm - maybe I should try update that thing!

Hi Grant,

You did something unholy,you wetted the fly

Nice fly you have there

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast