Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dropshot Bastards ;)

Default Dropshot Bastards ;)

So after work on Friday I fished the breakwater by the Royal Natal Yacht Club. The conditions were good and there was a lot of surface activity around.

Sadly I had an intermediate line with me so couldn't try any poppers or flippers. I fished with various bait fish patterns, and specifically a night time glassy pattern, which worked well in the past. I generally used a slow to intermediate retrieve with pauses, since I was trying to imitate the glassies around the pier. Grrr... Not even one hit.

On the pier with me were 2 drop shot fishermen, and one guy using live glassies. Of the 4 of us, only the one guy caught on drop shot. First he landed a decent size Skad, and then, a HUGE SPRINGER. It was an awesome fish, and gave him a good 10 minute fight. I do have a photo of it that I'll post sometime soon.

Anyway, damn those drop shot guys. It certainly seems like they're more productive, which is a bit irritating. And I must say, they have a great action in the water, as opposed to a fly which swims fairly straight.

Any tips on what I can do to increase my chances? And do the dropshot guys have more chance? Or was it a luck/skill thing?

Quote Originally Posted by WazzyP View Post

Any tips on what I can do to increase my chances?
    replace your fly with a Berkeley Gulp Minnow!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Well if you think about it, the drop shot dude clearly was fishing at a different depth to you and that's where the fish happened to be. You were fishing an intermediate line and were probably only covering the top metre of water whereas he was casting the dropshot, allowing it to sink pretty quickly and then bouncing it back.

Change to a fast sinking line, use a weighted clouser and bounce the fly back and you will kick his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono Shales View Post
    Well if you think about it, the drop shot dude clearly was fishing at a different depth to you and that's where the fish happened to be. You were fishing an intermediate line and were probably only covering the top metre of water whereas he was casting the dropshot, allowing it to sink pretty quickly and then bouncing it back.

Change to a fast sinking line, use a weighted clouser and bounce the fly back and you will kick his ass.
    I would've guessed we were fishing similar depths. But you may be right. Thanks for the tip.

My first guess was, due to the geared real, he was using a far faster retrieve than me. I did try a faster retrieve for a while, but no luck there.

Thanks Jono

Try a fly with a heavy bead in front and soft tails.
    It gives a lovely action. Similar to dropshot, sometimes even better.
    Intermediate to sinking lines works super with it.
    Have a look at this fly, http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=4977

It have produced well for me in similar setups.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thats a great looking fly Korrie.

I never have been a big fan of heavily weighted flies.
    But over the last month or so, I have seen dramatic results with heavily weighted flies.
    I have changed my whole opinion on it.

With the weighted flies, I have noticed that the strike by the fish, normally comes right at the end of your retrieve. If you are not awake, you end up missing the strike, because you have "no more space" to retrieve to set the hook.
    I have combatted it by altering my stripping.
    Have a look at this this thread http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...t=setting+hook
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Quote Originally Posted by WazzyP View Post
    ...I fished with various bait fish patterns, and specifically a night time glassy pattern, which worked well in the past....

Hello Warren...

This has got to be one of the few times that my Night Time Glassy has failed . As a matter of info, it was "conceived" and "born" on the yacht mole, along with the Saltwater Nymphing technique which I have used successfuly to outfish many bait and dropshot anglers. Dont worry, next time will be better.

Having said that, this was before dropshot really kicked off in SA. Fishing head to head with some dropshot guys, the dropshot technique definitely is very effective, and I have been outfished a few times. BUT, I have noticed that it also depends on the competency of the guys working the dropshot. There are certainly some techniques that are more effctive - some more subtle than others.

There is a trick to the Yacht Mole. You can fish it with a floating or intermediate line. Either way, fish a popper/flipper straight out the front and fan out casts while searching for the fish. Chances are, you will get most of your hits between the 11 'O clock and 12 'O clock area (with 12 'O clock being in line with the pier). As soon as you see the first boil which is usually just as it is getting dark, then change to the night time glassy. Fish almost dead drift with a rod length of line, with an occassional twitch to prevent it from getting hooked up on the bottom. Hopefully this will work. The other trick is that it is most effective over certain tides and also certain times during the tide - afternoon springs are good.

Tight lines always.

Regards
    Sudesh

Thanks for the great advice Sudesh. You certainly are a legend in these parts. Although I believe you have now relocated to somewhere inland?

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Hi Warren...

You are most welcome - hopefully this little tip will constantly get you into fish. I have lots of very fond memories of the Yacht Mole. As for "legend", thank you for the mention but this is too kind a title to be wasted on me .

Sadly, I am now living and working up in Jhb . Fortunately however, I still get to fish in the nicest places and nicest times in this country and abroad, ranging from small streams for trout to tropical salty waters (Also still guiding, but on a part time basis and when studies permit)

The winter season is only just starting and the juvenile shad are thick on some beaches. Will be there in a few weeks to either chase the kingies or stocky bash the shad, or maybe even look for some Dorado, Snoek, Tunny or Sails. Luckily, spoilt for choice at the moment

Tight lines always.

Regards
    Sudesh
    Last edited by Sudesh Pursad; 16-03-09 at 08:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast