Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trout fishing for bass

Default Trout fishing for bass

Popped into a private venue with some other forum members this weekend for a spot of trouting on the highveld.

Despite the cold front and howling wind we managed to bag a pile of fish - mostly bass. The dam we fished has a small bass problem. I won't go into specifics about numbers of fish etc but it was pretty close to a fish a cast on Saturday. Sunday was a lot tougher, we were only getting about 1 fish in three casts. My stripping fingers were aching on Monday.

We netted a few hogs and plenty of juveniles - even a few trout obliged.

It was challenging throwing full 3wt or 4wt lines into the howling wind with bass bugs and gurglers on the end but we managed the distance easily because we had to. Sometimes I wish I had a lighter rod when the fish are that small.

The dam was pretty large and so some form of flotation craft was necessary. I relied on my trusty death-trap (the popular exploder variety). I was particularly pleased with its performance. The other two larny tubes on the water both leaked air and need patching frequently. Just glad I wasn't in an ark in that wind, you think you move quickly down the Vaal when it is pumping at a 100 tonnes.

Even with all the chirps, comments and general tempting of fate on the water I managed to stay upright and dry.

I'll post pics when I get home later. I'll have to crop out some of the scenes of death... not everyone appreciates the beauty of dead bass on a stringer before they meet the fillet knife.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Sounds like you guys had fun, can't wait for the pics. It's great to sometimes fish an over stocked dam.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Sounds like you guys had fun, can't wait for the pics. It's great to sometimes fish an over stocked dam.
    More like overpopulated. The trout were thin but the water was still warm. Once we locked on to the bass we laughed the trout off. As soon as we targeted the trout again we got them.

Was great fun yeah. The wind was a beaaatch though. Try as I may, even with a 7wt, I just couldn't get those big popper flies out 32 metres.

This one came in at 1kg on the dot, caught by Graham. The only one I took a pic of. Some bigger ones came out too.

Hi Byron

Sounds like fun! Were you guys @ 3oaks by any chance?
    Sounds like the same type of dam

Regards

Rudolf

Hi Just saw the pick!

See it is 3 Oaks, going there for Easter weekend. Hope the troot fishing picks up a little by then.

Rudolf

P.S If you guys go there again and you are looking for a day fishing partner let me know. I am not to far of.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Hi Byron

Sounds like fun! Were you guys @ 3oaks by any chance?
    Sounds like the same type of dam

Regards

Rudolf
    Wolfie...I almost went into the dam from that SAME pier that you fell off!!!
    The entire thing lifted up behind me, the front dipped right into the water, and went down again luckily. Almost saw my g@t!
    One more inch and I would have moeeeeeered off. haha

My Ninja skills came into play nicely...

Ok now I don't have to post any pics. I also only have shots of Graham - if you've seen one of him and a bass you've seen them all

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Wolfie...I almost went into the dam from that SAME pier that you fell off!!!
    The entire thing lifted up behind me, the front dipped right into the water, and went down again luckily. Almost saw my g@t!
    One more inch and I would have moeeeeeered off. haha

My Ninja skills came into play nicely...
    Ha Ha Glad to hear you made it off in one piece, you didn't see my sunglasses by any chance

I must say I have really enjoyed the venue every time I have been there!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 18-03-09 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Ok now I don't have to post any pics. I also only have shots of Graham - if you've seen one of him and a bass you've seen them all
    Don't be scared. Post the pic of the big one I released. Into my coolerbox

At least mail them to me!
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast