Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Cape Vidal

Hey Brian,

I love Vidal!

I was there in the begining of June but mainly fished from a boat. Here are some of the flies that worked for the kingies (got smoked), Bonnies and shad. rising and high tides worked best for me. The olive/green epoxy deceiver absolutely smashed the bonnies.

Oh! And watch out for the wild pigs......they sommer bliksim you if you dont give them food

The bay to the left of the entrance to the beach is a great spot on an incoming tide.

Good luck!

Stones

A few more pics

Looks good.

Are you able to target bigger kingies, etc. off the shore or can this only be done off a boat?
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Bryan

The best for Kingies is to try at night of the ledge on the main beach.
    Even the "pool" that the ledge makes is very fish-able At night as the water is relatively calm. On my last trip I even managed a small bonefish in this bay on dropshot.

Yes you can, these were caught and tagged at Vidal last month,

79 CM ( 10 KG ) GT

81 cm GT

Don't bother to ask me where as I will only lie about it. I don't want every man and his dog with a plug or dropshot to mess up the fishing for us FFers. besides all the places have been mentioned above.

I am getting lots of PMs from guys asking me about fishing the salt, I don't mind helping guys who are committed FFers but if you pack a dropshot ot or pluig when you go on holiday then don't bother to ask me as I am totally anti- conventional fishing. This site is after all called 'Flytalk"

So would you recommend Gulp Alive or just the normal Gulp when targeting those?

What would be your ideal set-up Paul, a 13ft Blue Marlin with Saltiga 50, or would you recommend a 14ft Poseidon with Saltist 40?

We very easily forget our roots. Gimme a beer and a bucket of worms the day when I reach this point....

I am totally anti - anti'isms and exclusivisms - nice words hey?

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    So would you recommend Gulp Alive or just the normal Gulp when targeting those?

What would be your ideal set-up Paul, a 13ft Blue Marlin with Saltiga 50, or would you recommend a 14ft Poseidon with Saltist 40?

We very easily forget our roots. Gimme a beer and a bucket of worms the day when I reach this point....

I am totally anti - anti'isms and exclusivisms - nice words hey?
    I agree with Paul, but v@k this made me laugh.

Ja its a tough one, one thing is true and that is that the drop shot and bait guys just arent as conservation minded as FF's, think "stywe lyne" etc. and that may be the reason we sometimes dont want to give away our secret spots. Almost all of us started with bait and then evolved to became snobbish flyfishers...
    Last edited by sybie99; 15-11-11 at 04:09 PM.
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Default Newbie alert

Hi Paul these "cm" that you always mention in the pics, what length is that? Standard, fork or total.

Thanks

Gerrit it is fork length which is the length I submit with the tag details.

Guys we all are entitled to our own preference of fishing, and when i say i am anti- conventional it does not mean that whosoever is not allowed to practice it. I am not that arrogant that I expect anybody to do as I may like them to.
    There are many reasons I am anti and i could write pages of why with justifications. Basically I have seen some of the most fantastic destinations destroyed by conventional fisherman. most notably Farquar in seychelles is a shadow of itself and that is purely because of uncontrolled plugging and dropshotting.
    The only fisheries that thrive worldwide are the ones that are purely flyfishing and catch and release.
    I generalise now but when FFers who may be reasonably conservation minded on their freshwater fisheries go to areas and start plugging etc it's like they become someone else. Out come multiple trebles and it's a case of smash as many fish as one can without too much for the fish's future.
    i do know several conventional fisherman with very good fishing ethics but they are few and far between.
    At the same time there are many FFers that don't have good fishing ethics but the saving grace with FFing is that ultimately as a group we catch far less fish and there-fore have less impact on a fishery.
    So fish as you want, all i am saying is if you are a committed FFers and want advice on FFing as guys are asking me, then i am happy to help. if you want to go and throw a plug at bassas then don't ask me about ffing at the same time. Go and ask the guys who do the Bassas thing.
    For those who don't want advice i am pleased cause i don't have to sit here typing with one finger, i can rather be tying leaders or flies for my next fishing session !
    Last edited by Paul Weingartz; 15-11-11 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast