Thread: Fishing Inanda Dam

Default Fishing Inanda Dam

So I headed down to Inanda dam on Saturday morning, hoping to pick up a few bass. What a disappointment

I have no doubt there are a lot of bass around, as I saw a lot of activity in the weeds etc...but I just couldn't get a fly out.

Upon entering I hooked a left to the bay on the far end of the picnic sites. There were of course a few anglers fishing their already, so I took to foot and walked the bank.

I had fished the area on the opposite bank of the bay, just out of sight, around the corner, where there is some good structure. I've picked up some decent bass there in the past.

However I've realised something...you can't fish this dam from the bank when its full. I walked 2kms down the bank and couldn't find any fishable water. Its so high, and hence up to the vegetation, there is just no space for a back cast.

All I succeeded in doing was getting covered in spider webs, and getting legs which are still itchy on Monday morning.

Clearly you need a float tube here.

There were 2 guys in float tubes fishing, but neither on fly.

Just a little report back for anyone hoping to fish it from the bank...

Yup, wasting your time from the bank. Float tube is the only way to go. Don't you have a tube?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Yup, wasting your time from the bank. Float tube is the only way to go. Don't you have a tube?
    Sadly not Shaun...

Something on my list of things to get. But I've spent enough money of late, and we're in the middle of retrenchments, so it'll have to wait for later in the year. Damn!

Well if you ever decide to join me out on the water, I have a spare Fishcat float tube. You just need to sort yourself out with some waders and fins.

Thanks for the kind offer Shaun. I'm sure I'll take you up on the sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Well if you ever decide to join me out on the water, I have a spare Fishcat float tube. You just need to sort yourself out with some waders and fins.

Just as a matter of interest.Are there any catfish in Inanda dam.I have always driven past but never stopped to see what happens there.