Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catfish waters

Default Catfish waters

Hi guys.
    I need your help to in locating waters in your area that catfish are abundant.I specifically need the rivers and dams that are lesser known and that the water levels fluctuate drastically during the year.I especially need info on the eastern/western cape,natal,and the limpopo/mpumalanga areas.Any help will be much appreciated.

Is this for research? Fishing? And which catfish species?

I can give you some useful contacts if this is for research- and some spots if it is for fishing. But tell us a little more first...

We are doing an article on catfish in and around the Freestate and need to find some rivers/dams that show the same attributes as these we fish.This is mainly just to allow the beginners to identify with waters near them.As I said,dams and rivers that have very fluctuating levels throughout the year.The Vaal/Orange wont fall under these conditions.It also need not be the most well known rivers/dams but should be a good place for a beginer to start learning the techniques for catching catfish.

dam fluctuation is not allways the easy to find unless the climate allows for it but then all your dams do the same? why not look for dams with large shallow bay areas. most venues that have cats will have large quantities as they are generally a schooling fish. the trick is to find them . so the best way is to find a nice bay or open part of a river and make sure you are there the last 1 hour of the day when the sun sets and you will find your fish plenty of them and plenty venues too. just watch the weather though if you have had a temp drop of 4 or more degree over night. it might be harder to find them on those days, so rather dont waist your time when the temp changes. with winter approaching the cold doesnt matter but the sudden change does.

Little OTT but:

Hi Terry, nice CARP !
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

thanks man

Hi Tjb
    Those are the things/places I am looking for.Everybody knows the vaal/bloemhof etc.I just need some names to be able beginners to have a broader idea of where to target them.Yes shallow bays are prime,but in smaller dams they form over the vegetation after the heavy rains,comparred with larger dams that generally have these bays during most times of the year.I have been to dams that have become mere rivers with no catfish activity,only to be filled with them once the dam fills up.This info is merely going to be provided so that beginners to catfish fishing know know where to look for and what for when targetting cats.This is also at the end of the day info I will use when I am in the different provinces to target the fish.They are virually in every waterway I know,but certain rivers/dams are just easier to target them because of quatities etc.

you want to see dam levels dropping and falling use this site .http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/app...WeekIndex.html
    I use it when the weather allows for it or at the end of winter when your evaporation is high and your rainfall is low. unfortunatly most of the very good dams for fluctuation of levels are in the Free State because they are mostly large shallow dams = high evaporation rates. but that is a seasonal criteria

As far as I know Bloemhof dam potentially produces the biggest fish.

Shallow dams are your most productive systems, for a variety of reasons. With shallow slopes, even the smallest change in water level exposes/floods large areas.

In the eastern Cape, Darlington Dam would be your best bet for beginners (like me, haven't been yet but planning a trip). We've learned quite a bit about this dam, as there is a lot of research going on there. Unfortunately I have forgotten the number of fish and tonnes of fish per hectare for this dam. They worked this out from tagging data and some pretty smart maths, and the results are mind boggling. Darlington Dam potentially has the highest number of barbel biomass in SA.

I think this is the only easy dam to fish in our area of the Eastern Cape. The rivers are not easy on fly.

Thanks Clarias.Where is Darlington.I was born in Slumies but have never heard of this dam.Tell me more please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast