Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Milnerton Lagoon

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    Its these guys that dont tell that preserve the fish and the area,If they broadcast it from the mountains then every tom dick and harry would be there and they are the ones who take the fish. I saw the same thing on saturday whille fishing with Liam,a guy hooked a leerie and had a good fight with it we came closer and watch until he had the fish out the water,we asked if he was going to put it back and he just said yes and we hung around until he put it back,I am almost sure if we didnt hang around he would have kept it.
    I am sure there are leeries still in that lagoon,we must just find them,keep it under wraps and preserve them,after all they are our version off a GT and we are not spending R30 000 on catching a beauty. It is not everyone who gets the oppertunity to catch a trophy like you guys have the past week,but it will be an even better feel to know that they are still there....dont you agree that you will rather keep trying than know that you CANT get them anymore???
    Exactly!.....and one mornings blank also doesn't mean there aren't any fish there.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Smile

I have recently saw on Cps Site that you must go in between the two bridges and near the golf course. But they also said that it is some time difficult to get something to bite

I think there should be nice big mullet in there,maybe we can challenge some off these little fighters,on a 6wt they should give you a nice whipping if you should hook one
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Many years back, about 12 - 15, I remember a coupple of leeries in the 5-6 Lb class comming out of Milnerton lagoon.

Quote Originally Posted by peterV View Post
    Many years back, about 12 - 15, I remember a coupple of leeries in the 5-6 Lb class comming out of Milnerton lagoon.
    yip, same story I heard.

One thing there will definitely be in the channel next to the golf course is Springers. These fish are in the Riet river and are found as far as Vissershok. I recently spoke to some of the farm labourers who fish the stretch of river on the farm there, and they confirmed this.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Isint a springer just a big mullet???
    And how does the farm workers catch them? Because i f they can be caught,that will surely be a good fight
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    Isint a springer just a big mullet???
    And how does the farm workers catch them? Because i f they can be caught,that will surely be a good fight
    yeah, they are of the mullet family. I am not quite sure which ones....could be Southern mullet. They fight very well yes and can most certainly be caught on fly

Quote Originally Posted by peterV View Post
    Some nice leeries came out back then - courtesy of Rolston, Clarke, Kideon and co.Have not heard of anything much since then.

Well, I have a good suspicion that some may have returned after the recent spate of warm water in the bay. I measured the temp at 18 deg C at Bontkop the other day. At Koeberg it was measured at 23deg C.....just one degree short of a Nucleur power plant shut down! Apparently fingers were hovering on the shut down button at the power station.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 06-02-07 at 12:54 PM.

You may be right but who is going to give it a try. A bit off putting when you get to the water's edge to be confronted with a sign saying "no swimming - polluted water"!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast