Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Milnerton Lagoon

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    You may be right but who is going to give it a try. A bit off putting when you get to the water's edge to be confronted with a sign saying "no swimming - polluted water"!
    hehe, i saw that yes. I stopped there this morning again, and it looked quiet good around the pumphouse. No pollution to speak of. The water was discoloured yes, but then again, the tide was still going out
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I spent many hours rowing on the lagoon six years ago. I have seen a Leerie chasing mullet near the old bridge on one occasion. It must have been in about 60 cm. Since then I stopped rowing there due to polution and has subsequently moved , so I have no up to date knowledge. I would imagine it might take a while to figure them out but it should be worth the effort.

Default ???

Went early this morning to the old bridge just to have a look see at the water for pollution etc and spotted a shoal of "something" each around 30 -40 cm in length ? Anyone have an idea ?

Am going to try either later tonight or early tomorrow and see if any takes.

Just moved into the milnerton area so am keen to hopefully do some more salt water fishing , also if anyone as heard anything about the large carp and bream fishing spot at canal walk ? Apparently opposite the shell garage as you turn off bosmansdan road heading towards canal walk ? They stocked a large body of water here to kill off the croaking frogs with bream and now they are allowing fisherman here to catch the buggers ?

cheers

welcome back croozer
    you been quiet for a long while. sounds interesting the canal walk thing. will definately go look. you don't think the fish you saw at milnerton were mullet?
    take some bread and bread flies.40cm should give a good go.
    how did the water look as far as pollution?
    keep us posted on the fish
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Thks

Ended up in Gansbaai for weekend so didn't have a go at milnerton.

Water wasn't too bad however I wouldnt want get into it for any reason , may have been mullet so am damn keen to give it a try sometime this week , tied load of flies in preperation !

As for canalwalk waters , it is opposie the Shell garage off Bosmansdam just after the maintenance yard on the left. R30 for a year ? And in not catch and release in fact they want you to elliminate the fish that are in there as cleary no evaluation was done on everimental impact as there is serious over populating of bream according to a freind that fished there !

Will keep posted.

Croozer

I stopped at Milnerton lagoon on my way back from Zandvlei on Sunday afternoon. There were huge shoals of baitfish near the old wooden bridge. Something deep down was chasing them as they would "explode" periodically. Little fish jumping out of the water etc. Tried with a flipper for awhile but no joy and no sign sof leeries - swirls, V wakes etc.

I worked at Knowledge Park which is next to the Shell garage at Canal Walk. I saw many large carp in the canals but the carp infestation has made the water muddy with very low visibility. A few years ago there used to be large bream visible but no more. I tried for them a few times on fly without success. As far as I know you can fish there as long as you have a freshwater permit.

Getting back to the Milnerton lagoon, the water is in good condition with plenty of baitfish around. Maybe the Aquarium guys should put some of their leeries in this water instead of Zandvlei. There is certainly enough food around.

i still want to go and try for mullet their, i wonder what fish species are in that system ?

I concur - Milnerton is looking in good nick(I drive past there every day).It certainly looks good enough for leeries.

I saw birds going ballistic there the other day(cormorants and sterretjies)now I know why.

Thanks for the info.

Have noticed more and more guys fishing off that old bridge and the opposite bank on the way home recently so am SUPER keen now.

Pray I can post some catch reports soon !!

Quote Originally Posted by croozer View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Have noticed more and more guys fishing off that old bridge and the opposite bank on the way home recently so am SUPER keen now.

Pray I can post some catch reports soon !!
    NO NO NO NO don't you remember the last time a catch report was submitted from a venue such as this?
    heavens above... the website went underground almost
    in fact it went X
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast