Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Durban Harbour/ Victoria embankment

I don't have any pictures of a skad, but its quite a slick looking fish. As for the gurnards, they are ugly mo-fo's, but they do provide some good fun.

A sinking line will be fine, although I do prefer and intermediate. Depending on tides, where we fish, etc, it can can be fairly shallow, and with a sinking you'll be pulling it along the bottom. Which is by no means a bad thing since lots of the fish feed on prawns on the banks. An intermediate just gives the option of fishing the bottom, or at various other levels.

I'm also wondering what you guys are referring to as Skad/Scad- I thought you were just spelling shad wrong!

My Van Der Elst says there are four species known as Scad- all in the kingfish family (Carangidae), closely resembling Maasbanker, and one looking like a slender kingfish.

Are these the fish?

Could you guys post a bit on how they're caught? I've never seen any info on catching them on fly...must be fun on a light rod.

Cheers

Scads look like little bonitos/tunas imo.... they'll give you a good rev on a 6wt !!!
    We got them in the yacht mole on small glassy patterns.

Just google images for "torpedo scad"
    Last edited by Spilogaster; 26-03-09 at 10:30 PM. Reason: image

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2