Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: fishing from a kayak

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Yeah I remember those pics of those kingies.... caught the day after the Mtwalume Compo..... I took alot of heat from the Fishingski site for getting really vocal on their site because of all the pictures of dead kingies and dead sailfish and tiny couta.....They even published a letter I wrote to them on their main site, as the opening page.....doesn't seem to have worked much...

I'm not against keeping some fish for the pot, not at all. But killing Sailies and Kingies to me is just frickin stupid!Then fishing ski site is pretty damn stagnant, and it seems a little full of guys who are not keen to share their info, but are keen to kill everything they catch...pretty sad, not exactly a good representation of anglers in my opinion...
    hear hear dammit. these okes kill for the sake of killing..nevermind they're killing the breeding-stock..

The lagoons in Moz around Inhambane are in the same shape. Only a few juveniles with very few adult specimens seen, even in the markets. Unfortunately the shortage of protein means the local population consume all juvies caught and the effects are far reaching.

On topic again, where would one purchase a lightweight plastic rowboat type craft of around 2 - 2.5m? Paddling a kayak is a tad difficult with titanium ballast anchoring one's lower back to one's pelvis and limiting movement, thus the need for something one can row with an even stroke. This would be more for estuarine and inland waters than ocean going stuff. Something along the lines of a Plastimo 45 would be ideal but I have no idea where to purchase it in SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lardbeast View Post
    On topic again, where would one purchase a lightweight plastic rowboat type craft of around 2 - 2.5m? Paddling a kayak is a tad difficult with titanium ballast anchoring one's lower back to one's pelvis and limiting movement, thus the need for something one can row with an even stroke. This would be more for estuarine and inland waters than ocean going stuff. Something along the lines of a Plastimo 45 would be ideal but I have no idea where to purchase it in SA.
    I use an el-cheapo 9' inflatable - which also has a motor mount (small outboard or electric motor). It has served me very well for years ..... and I use it as a matter of choice on large (inland and estuarine) waters over a float tube. This year I want to take it out after yellowtail .. launch at Buffels Bay and fish the kelp margins towards Rooikranz (Cape Point Reserve).
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Lardbeast View Post
    The lagoons in Moz around Inhambane are in the same shape. Only a few juveniles with very few adult specimens seen, even in the markets. Unfortunately the shortage of protein means the local population consume all juvies caught and the effects are far reaching.

Try contacting Popes Canoes in Pietermaritzburg, they have a very nice little rowing boat that can also take a 10HP motor. popescanoe@mjvn.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I use an el-cheapo 9' inflatable - which also has a motor mount (small outboard or electric motor). It has served me very well for years ..... and I use it as a matter of choice on large (inland and estuarine) waters over a float tube. This year I want to take it out after yellowtail .. launch at Buffels Bay and fish the kelp margins towards Rooikranz (Cape Point Reserve).
    If your previous ski boating days are anything to go by, we had better alert the NSRI now!

Quote Originally Posted by Matuka View Post
    If your previous ski boating days are anything to go by, we had better alert the NSRI now!
    HA HA!!! .... you're still alive aren't you???
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Many thanks Matuka. Will give them a call...

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post

Hey Jasper give me a shout when you are ready - I am even thinking of doing a winter outing there even if it's only for the exercise. I was joined on a previous occasion by Neptune and another on their yaks, but there is no way to keep up with them, so we ended up doing our own thing anyways. I did manage to cover 7kms to the point and back without too much hassle (there was no wind) The other two managed to cover A LOT of water and they got some nice fish to show for their efforts. I also added a fishfinder to my croc and that's another reason I want to get out there.
    cheers
    w

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    Hey Jasper give me a shout when you are ready -
    w
    OK ... I'll do that ... but will first wait for summer!!

OK, no problem but remember it's your loss i'll be sure to report back.
    w

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7