Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tfo

Gogga Banned User

Default Tfo

I know some of you guys use TFO rods - So just to let you know - Since I'm in Dallas, Thought it would be rude not to drop in.

I will be visiting their factory during the course of the next two days or so.

So if you have any specific questions you want me to ask - Here is your chance - Just make sure I get them ASAP.

All the best
    Mike

Mike, I thought their rods were made in Korea?

Hi Mike, it would be interesting to hear their comments on the 5# shootout referred to by Mike McKeown ( Maximum ) on the around the campfire thread.http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=624
    ( The TFO TiCr-X came last in the shootout! )
    Last edited by Herman Jooste; 06-02-07 at 08:38 AM. Reason: adding shortcut to thread
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Hi Mike, it would be interesting to hear their comments on the 5# shootout referred to by Mike McKeown ( Maximum ) on the around the campfire thread.http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=624
    ( The TFO TiCr-X came last in the shootout! )
    The guys on www.flyanglersonline.com Had one helluva discussion about that 5wt shootout atricle.

here's the Link to their discussion.

The most interesting thing for me was that the guy who wrote the article was involved with the creation of the Sage Z-axis and the Loomis Streamdance so no wonder they finished 1st and 2nd respectively.

Stick to personal preference and just use these reviews as a guide rather than a steadfast rule. If a rod made it onto this top 10 list (Of USA rods it seems), it's probably worth a cast to see if you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    The most interesting thing for me was that the guy who wrote the article was involved with the creation of the Sage Z-axis and the Loomis Streamdance so no wonder they finished 1st and 2nd respectively.
    I agree, thing is he reviewed the rods based on what he sees as a good rod. Personally my TiCr-X 7WT works fine over short distances as well as full lines. I had cast the 5WT and same thing applied. He also mentioned "hideous gaps" twixt the segments where ferrules join. So bloody what, I got a rod tube with my TFO and overall, that beast is powerful, has good warranty, I love the action and I love th finishing, even though it might not be as classy as the more expensive rods. At 1/3 th price of a Z-Axis ... I'll take two.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Grant, can you show me where in the article you saw that George was involved in the creation of the Z-Axis ?

The section I found read as follows:

"But you may not know that over the last twenty years, rod manufacturers like Sage, and G. Loomis have asked for George’s help in designing rods like the Sage LL 389 and 490, as well as The Loomis StreamDance GLX Presentation series of trout rods."

Hi Shaun,

I did not see it in the Article, but in the flyanglersonline forum.

Interesting thread this, I still cant say that I have ever chucked a TFO that gives me as much confidence as the Sage z-axis, XP, or TCR. Sage rods are just plain awesome, and all the others are playing catch up, TFO included. I can't comment on Loomis, I have never cast one, but am not hankering to do so either. Just my opinion, because we are all different

Grant - agreed, it is just a guide... Please can you post the links to the debate and the other shoot outs, put it in the shoot out thread...

i am not a great TFO fan, only cause I like my Sages and Scotts
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

I must say that the Z Axis is probably the sweetest rod I've ever cast. I can't say I'm surprised it came out tops. Sets a new benchmark in my book.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast