Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tfo

I dont even want to cast one... I cant aford it...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Hehehe, tackle addiction is a sickness !

Nah, I'm more than happy with my XP, and for less than half the price of a Z Axis it is more than good enough for me, so I don't see one in my immediate future.

A 3wt TXL on the other hand.....

Gogga Banned User

OK,

So off to TFO I went, What a great bunch of guy's. The factory isn't a huge sprawling place - neither is it a pokey little fishing shop.

They have a huuuuge amount of stock, built rods and reels from their factory in Korea and Australia (Reels salt water as shown below). They have exclusivity with the rod producer and have their own QA guy in place there.

Having seen their set up - I can say it really impressive, they pride themselves on their repair facility - with a 24 hour turn around (unlike some of their bigger competitors) and the place definitely has a homely feel about it.

I was treated exceptionally well and given a serious rod for field testing (14#). My only obligation - send a few photos of the fish I catch with it - (he he)

If anyone finds themselves in Dallas and has an hour or two to spend - go and visit TFO - you will not regret it.

I asked about the 5 # shoot out and their comments - Basically as been suggested - the guy's doing the test where unknowns, the tests where conducted in a manner unlike the usual shoot outs. And the true tests are published in the magazines over here (with a readership of over 25 million) so that particular test has no credibility at all. Anyone with a web site - can take a few rods do a few tests and conclude - does this mean anything - maybe - maybe not - I wont be persuaded by it - so I hope you are not either.

On the small rods - all I can say is lefty is busy testing the tiny wands as we speak - and they are 3 # and lighter. so keep your ears to the ground - they will be in production by summer.

There are a few other things on the boil - I tested a switch rod 11ft 3" - another winner me thinks - actually its a fecking cannon - 11 weight Rio line 130 feet with a single back cast - un - bloody - believable.

Soo there you have it .

All the best
    Mike
    Last edited by Gogga; 07-02-07 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks Mike, interesting reading. They certainly sound very friendly and obliging.

So it sounds like the place in Dallas is the warehouse for the stuff built offshore?

Gogga Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    Thanks Mike, interesting reading. They certainly sound very friendly and obliging.

So it sounds like the place in Dallas is the warehouse for the stuff built offshore?
    Hey Kev,

yea, Dallas is the HO that's where they do their stuff from, The manufacturing is done in both Korea and OZ, then shipped to Dallas and distributed world wide from there. So for all intense and purpose that's their HO. Lefty Kre and all the other staff for TfO are based out of Dallas.

BTW - lefty took one look at my casting and immediately offered me a spot on his new video - "don't know how he does it - but feck me it works" (he he) only joking- a true leged, and gentle man is all I can say.

All the best
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gogga View Post
    BTW - lefty took one look at my casting and immediately offered me a spot on his new video - "don't know how he does it - but feck me it works" (he he) only joking- a true leged, and gentle man is all I can say.
    Hehehe, I'm sure he could use my casting for some comic relief

Those Hayden's look interesting. Have you ever used one Mike?

Gogga Banned User

Kev,
    To be honest I had never seen them until I got there. The reels look OK, they have a huge cork drag, possibly the biggest I have ever seen on any reel.

They also have another range - badged as TFO - and to absolutely honest, I would put them in the same class as the Stealth Blue water range. Thats both brands.

The HAYDENS are definitely not Shiltons which, BTW, I put in the same class as the Able super series. ( I will be doing some experimentation's later this year (call it a shoot out if you will) on these two reels (Able vs Shilton) on some serious fish)

All the best
    Mike

If you think the shilton reels are in the same class as the Abel super series, you are dreaming. They may be good reels and perform nearly as well, but will never be as tough and robust as the super series. Shilton will always and only ever be a really good copy of an Abel, but will never last as long . With fly tackle , as with just about everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Gogga Banned User

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    If you think the shilton reels are in the same class as the Abel super series, you are dreaming. With fly tackle , as with just about everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Andre,

To be honest I have a full range of Able reels, That's the super 5 to the super 14. With these reels I have caught everything from Gt's to Bonefish. I have also used the Able super 14 on Blue and Thresher sharks.

I also happen to own a few Shilton reels, Granted they havent done the fishing that the Ables have - but then again they are not as popular as Able - in-fact hardly anyone over here or in the States have ever heard of them. Non the less - lets look at a few technicalities shall we.

But before I begin, could you be kind enough to share with us, your experience and knowledge on both reels - so that we can make a fair judgment on your statement.

OK, so lets choose a real workhorse out of the ranges - for me it would be Shilton SL7 or equivalent super 12

The Able weighs - 10.1 oz Shilton - 290 Gr ( 10.2 oz)

Bearings - Able 1 - Shilton 3.

The are both made of CNC machined Bar Stock Aluminium - as far as I know there ain't a huge difference between bar stock and bar stock, but who knows?

Both have cork drags - as far as I know cork is cork - perhaps I'm wrong again.

OK, so Lets have a look at a few drawings shall we- You are a bit technical (I hope) and you may be a bit surprised.

The Able

The Shilton (I scaned this off my own reel BTW.)

Now, I may be a humble engineer, and a fishing nut, but feck me- there are a hell of a lot of similarities there - and on closer investigation - I have to think that those booitjies in SA have a thing or two (or should that be 3 ) going for them.

Anyhow - as you say, I must be dreaming - and, I just paid $380-00 for My Shilton SL7 (Guide program - I'm told you get this when you have caught enough fish, (he he)) But that Able cost me $ 745-00

Hell, I guess you have to be right - you certainly get what you pay for. Perhaps, Able is twice as good - We will see.

All the best
    Mike
    Last edited by Gogga; 10-02-07 at 09:03 PM.

eina pain
    thank goodness the "other guys" hooked into those big leeries (that we can't talk about anymore). i bought my salt gear from a cash converters. drag???
    now i know why, when stripping line into my basket i always get an overwind on my reel. they have cork?. thanks for that info gogga, i think i could do better with some of this new line gear. time to prioratise (sp)?
    very interesting. gee i actually wanted to ask you a question about your clouser you tied, but am feeling quite inferior at the moment so will wait until i've had more beer..... or maybe until i remember what i wanted to ask you.
    thanks for your great input, always
    cheers
    roland

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.