Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Small stream rod advice

I have plenty of experience with the LPS series, I fished 2w almost exclusivly for a number of years.

It is exactly what it says it will be, a Light Presentation Series rod, but it is still a T&T, and therefore has more than enough back bone to land fair size fish, or punch a nymph into Hurricane Hilda. It excels at short line work, landing RAB’s with the gentlest touches, but can control longer casts, and roll cast like a dream. It is in my top 5 of all time rods. Batting amongst the Sage 00(twin), Sage 5w XP, Scott G3, and Scott 1w Fiber touch…

If your heart is set on a light stick and you are prepared to spend real money, I rate it over any Sage, in the 2 weight region. The Winston’s are on a par with the T&T’s, but they are a little to quick. If I was going out for a small stream stick in a 2w, it would have to be the T&T, every single time!!

I understand that you are looking at the 3w, my advice is to go with a 2w, you will enjoy the experience more and your fishing will improve.

After reading your response, you need to give Mario a call, and he will guide you on the finest water in and around Rhodes, although Fred is a superb guide, I believe you will really enjoy Mario’s abilities and he fishes a twin, which Fred says is “gimmicky”, dha. Then when you are in Cape Town, there are a whole bunch of guys on this site who are going to take you to some of the finest waters you can ever imagine…

Anyway, my 2cents, when do you want to come round and tie some flys??
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    I have plenty of experience with the LPS series, I fished 2w almost exclusivly for a number of years.

It is exactly what it says it will be, a Light Presentation Series rod, but it is still a T&T, and therefore has more than enough back bone to land fair size fish, or punch a nymph into Hurricane Hilda. It excels at short line work, landing RAB’s with the gentlest touches, but can control longer casts, and roll cast like a dream. It is in my top 5 of all time rods. Batting amongst the Sage 00(twin), Sage 5w XP, Scott G3, and Scott 1w Fiber touch…

If your heart is set on a light stick and you are prepared to spend real money, I rate it over any Sage, in the 2 weight region. The Winston’s are on a par with the T&T’s, but they are a little to quick. If I was going out for a small stream stick in a 2w, it would have to be the T&T, every single time!!

I understand that you are looking at the 3w, my advice is to go with a 2w, you will enjoy the experience more and your fishing will improve.

After reading your response, you need to give Mario a call, and he will guide you on the finest water in and around Rhodes, although Fred is a superb guide, I believe you will really enjoy Mario’s abilities and he fishes a twin, which Fred says is “gimmicky”, dha. Then when you are in Cape Town, there are a whole bunch of guys on this site who are going to take you to some of the finest waters you can ever imagine…

Anyway, my 2cents, when do you want to come round and tie some flys??

Max, thats a good idea. Why don't we get everyone together and do just that. We could decide on a fly on the forum, then the guys in Cpt can get together tie theirs, take pics etc, and we do the same down here in Joeys. Next day we upload pics and compare notes. What you guys think?
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Gogga Banned User

Sage has just launched their replacement for the XP series - the Z axis.

I tried one the other day and it's a real sweet little rod, the 3 weight that I was playing with is incredibly light, and gives plenty of feedback.

All the best
    Mike
    Last edited by Gogga; 12-10-06 at 07:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2