Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing Edinburgh Scotland

Default Fly Fishing Edinburgh Scotland

This is a stream that runs through Edinburgh called the Water of Leith. Went for a spot of fishing in Collington which is probably the most picturesque section of the stream, the fishing is pretty tough with tiny flies on 8x tippets the order of the day.

Here are some photo's of the stream, most of it is very shallow on this section but there is potential in the pools.

The reward, a brownie just shy of 16", not a bad fish to christen my new 7' 3wt which fell to a size 20 Griffiths Gnat. This is actually a very good fish for this stream, I don't think I will be getting one of these any time soon out of this stream
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Wow that looks awesome man!! Nice fish!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Well done Gael. I fished the Leith a few times and never got anything close to that size, mostly 10" broonies. Before I had a car I'd take the bus to go fishing in the Leith, I'd get some funny looks dressed up in full fishing regalia in the bus!
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Thanks Kevin, I was quiet surprised myself.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Awesome !

Very jealous, that's a good looking fish.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Awesome looking stream, and awesome brown!! Very, very pretty, and well done - real good stuff!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

congrats, nice fish for the Leith! might have to try it again on my next vist!

I was in my baby stage re flyfishing when I travelled Scotland for 3 months in 2000. If I only new about this river....... Can't say that I would have gave my rugby ticket away.

Its really nice Gael. Real pitty that I/we won't have time to meet with you and even stay a day.
    "Vermoëns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¬ Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I was in my baby stage re flyfishing when I travelled Scotland for 3 months in 2000. If I only new about this river....... Can't say that I would have gave my rugby ticket away.

Its really nice Gael. Real pitty that I/we won't have time to meet with you and even stay a day.
    Ian
    In 2000 I don't think you would have been able to catch those fish.
    They would have been to clever for you.

Now, well it is a different story.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Here is a report I wrote for the one Scottish forum, thought it might make interesting reading

Take One:
    As I mentioned in my previous report on the WOL, the next outing planned was to fish the section from Saughton through to Slateford, weather looked promising, warm and overcast, and the weather forecast was for only 60% chance of rain, thought I would chance it.

Slipped into the water just below Balgreen Road bridge, tied on a trusty Griffiths Gnat and slowly made my way upstream looking for rising fish. Not long I found a couple of wee trout rising in some thin water, covered these fish with the griffiths but without much interest. *Eventually one of these took a swat at my fly, though I wonder if this was more to be rid of the pesky floating ball of fluff than for it's gastronomic qualities. Not getting the reaction I was hoping for I decided a in change flies was in order, tied on a DHE and continued further upstream to find some more rising fish.

Next pool up looked the business and it wasn't long before I had a couple of wee troot rise to my fly with gusto, much better. Hooked and landed my second best fish of the season on the WOL, an acrobatic wild brownie just over 10". Unfortunately whilst removing my camera from it's storage place in my chest pack, I lost grip of the camera and it plummeted into the water, hence why there aren't any photo's to accompany this report, c'est la vie.

Continued upstream, picking up the odd wee fish here and there on the DHE when the weather forecast turned out that the chance of rain was actually 100%, the heavens opened. Pulled out my pack away "waterproof" Regatta rain jacket and soon discovered that it should rather have been called Rain Getter instead as it was far from waterproof. As the deluge subsided I continue upstream and proceeded to loose a few fish that I found rising upstream.

And then, the heavens opened, again!
    Seeking shelter under a tree, now wet, with the river slowly turning to mud a foreign movie came to mind that the misses has been pestering me to watch with her, Like Water for Chocolate. *Except I was starting in a Scottish short version called Like Chocolate for Water and without the happy ending of a warming embrace of a sultry Mexican señorita, at this point a happy ending for me would have been a cup of hot chocolate and proper shelter from the rain (though I wouldn't have minded Salma Hayek staring as the sultry Mexican in my version)

Considering the river was now is spate, called it a day and trudged up to the WOL centre through the rain where I could find somewhere dry to change out of my waders.

Take Two:
    Well, by the next morning the river had pretty much cleared so I decided on a foray a little closer to home this evening after dinner on the WOL, I only managed to fish for 2 hours yesterday and I was due some more fishing time for the week.

Jumped the wall downstream of Cannonmills, which brings us to today's lesson in Scotland 101 for this colonial, corduroy is no match for stinging nettles (get the waders on before climbing the wall). Lots of ranuculas in the water but no rising fish, couple of mayfly duns around so decided to tie on a comparadun, I just love the way these things just keep on floating.

Didn't spot any fish rising fish as I worked my way upstream with my fly till I reached the cycle path bridge. Here a wee troot so small hit the fly that when I set the hook it went flying overhead behind me and fell of the hook, guess that counts as a long line release.

The next few hundred yards was a fishy looking pool but before I could even start to look for any the elusive troot, four ducks shot out from the undergrowth and proceed to do the broken wing breast stroke up the entire length of the pool. Now on a pool not much wider than 10' it may have well as been four kayaks paddling upstream, if there was any fish they were going to be shell shocked for a while. Walked up to Tanfield where a couple of rising fish were busy between the ranunculas, managed too pursued two of the buggers to play along and these were quickly released none the wiser.

And then it happened, the heavens opened, AGAIN! My Regatta rain jacket, a.k.a Rain Getter, was still as leaky as it was yesterday and I was forced to seek shelter under the Tanfield bridge. From my now dry position I realised that I was in for a repeat on yesterday matinee performance with the stream quickly turning to chocolate.

Again, called it a day due to the river becoming unfishable, at least I was comforted in the knowledge that today there was a happy ending with some hot chocolate at the end of this performance, well, up the road actually back at the apartment

May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast