Thread: Winterton - Blue Gill

Default Winterton - Blue Gill

Hi all

I am going to Winterton next weekend and have been able to gain access to a local dam which has Blue gill and black bass . I have never caught blue gill or any kind of Tilapia on fly , my question is what flies and retrieves will work for blue gill ? Any advice on areas to attack eg inlets , drop offs will be graetly appreciated . Floating or intermediate lines for these fish ? I will be using a 5 weight rod for the weekend

Thanks in advance

Adrian
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Blue gill will take just about anything.
    My personal experience is that they are more aggresive than bass.
    So anything from a GRHE to a big Wooly bugger will take them.
    For bass, any thing that have movement, Wooly buggers, poppers, etc etc clousers, Have a look at the SBS for Saltwater and Bass. Lots of inspiration there. Take both lines you never know.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Booger Rose Banned User

Blue Gill is as far as I know closely related to Bass. Very agresive buggers and will take anything. Definately try something in orange and Olive Wooly Bugger.

Bluegill are related to bass, not Tilapia (although they look similar- this is due to similar predatory forces driving their evolution).

Bluegill are super easy to catch. I remember asking our club members about Bluegill when I first came to Rhodes. I was quite anxious to catch one, and they just laughed when they saw how keen I was.

I find they take shiny things best- so use a beadhead fritz with cactus chenille. They are also quite keen on insects, so dry flies such as Caddisses work very well.

Good luck, post some pictures when you come back!

HI Adrian, they are fun to catch. For size, they are strong. I normally check out the damsels and dragonfly on the water and fish their colours.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

in the USA, bluegills are also called panfish, this is because the are super eating fish and normally fits just lovely in a pan.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    in the USA, bluegills are also called panfish, this is because the are super eating fish and normally fits just lovely in a pan.
    Please excuse the ignorance, but what would be the average size of a Bluegill.
    I would not put any Tilapia under 700g and over 2kg in a pan. ( Old habits, I know ).
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

What dam are you fishing in at Winterton? I am going there 18th of this month. Just wondering if we will be fishing same dam.

Ah - someone mentioned one of my favourite fish! Small bluegill (< 500g) are extremely aggressive and will attack pretty much anything, whether it resembles food or not. The big jobs (800g - kilo-plus) seem to undergo a pretty drastic change in behaviour and, for most of the year, hang around over hard substrate in 8 to 12 ft of water. They seem to prefer a diet of small fish, even the young of their own species, but larger nymphs are also taken regularly. Big bluegill are very worthwhile to fish for, but unfortunately not all waters produce big ones. Bluegill reach sexual maturity at a small size and easily form stunted populations when their numbers aren't kept in check. As a rule of thumb, waters that produce the bigger bass also tend to produce bigger bluegill. Also, sadly, I have to add that the bluegill isn't a very friendly fish to have around and has the potential to do severe damage to indigenous populations - much more so than any trout.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Max View Post
    What dam are you fishing in at Winterton? I am going there 18th of this month. Just wondering if we will be fishing same dam.
    I will be fishing at Rose Cottage dam , its a B&B . I am not staying there but have made a plan to throw a line . I will also get into town fri afternoon and find out from local shopowners etc , where i can fish . There seems to be no tourism board there and getting info from locals on the phone is an absolute waste of time . Tried many numbers and had no luck
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."